Lean angle gone missing

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

keith4383

Hi strange one today for no reason that I can think of my lean angle disappeared of the display today, turned the bike on and off 3 times over the ride still nothing. The 4th and 5th time they were back and working fine.Just wondering if anyone had any ideas. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

No idea why, but the same thing happened to me last year. Went into the menu and turned it off and then back on, and it reappeared. Never done it since.

Lean Angle Display

Mine did this at the end of last season. I tried turning the lean angle display off and on again but it only resolved the issue temporarily. Bizarrely the cause was a loose battery terminal and once tightened the problem has never occurred again.

Thanks for the replies, I will check the battery

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

this is a common issue on the 15/16 gen 3....i had same issue on mine intermittently and BMW looked at it 5 times without solving. Some people tracked this issue back to loose battery terminals but my battery terminals were tight. My guess is there is possibly a link to the battery or at least the amount of current feeding the ECU/dash. I'd suggest giving the battery a good charge and if it happens again possibly replace battery?? One interesting thing i've noticed about the 2017 model is BMW have uprated the alternator...i suspect this is to avoid electrical gremlins such as this one....just my wild guess but seeing as BMW couldn't fix it after 5 attempts i wouldn't hold your breath for a fix! If you decide to swap the battery you might want to consider buying the bigger BMW battery (they usually offer it when you spec the bike with an alarm but can be ordered separately) ...hope that helps ;)

One interesting thing i've noticed about the 2017 model is BMW have uprated the alternator...i suspect this is to avoid electrical gremlins such as this one....just my wild guess but seeing as BMW couldn't fix it after 5 attempts i wouldn't hold your breath for a fix! If you decide to swap the battery you might want to consider buying the bigger BMW battery (they usually offer it when you spec the bike with an alarm but can be ordered separately) ...hope that helps ;)

Is this bigger BMW Battery actually something offered?
I never found it when you build a bike on Motorrad's website nor any mention of it at the dealers or elsewhere?

Cheers

OEM Battery

If you opt for the BMW alarm when purchasing a new S1000RR it will come supplied with a larger battery. If you don't the bike is supplied with a lighter Yuasa YTZ7S MF OEM battery.

How cold was it? Mine sometimes does this but it almost always coincides with cold days and once the bike is up to temperature it will remain on with a restart. If the coolant temp shows less than 13 degrees the bank angle disappears when I turn it over. 13+ it stays on. Not sure how it coincides with ambient temp but it sounds like something ze nannying Germans might throw into the software so we're not looking for high lean in the middle of winter! :-D

Battery is fine - bike ridden 4/5 days a week and spends rest of the time on an Optimate.

Mine wasnt temperature sensitive....i was having same issue over in Spain last summer...it did usually reappear when i recycle the ignition but then disappeared again when it felt like it!??
How cold was it? Mine sometimes does this but it almost always coincides with cold days and once the bike is up to temperature it will remain on with a restart. If the coolant temp shows less than 13 degrees the bank angle disappears when I turn it over. 13+ it stays on. Not sure how it coincides with ambient temp but it sounds like something ze nannying Germans might throw into the software so we're not looking for high lean in the middle of winter! :-D

Battery is fine - bike ridden 4/5 days a week and spends rest of the time on an Optimate.

Re: OEM Battery

Yes this is my experience also, although it is possible to spec a new bike with bigger battery and NOT alarm if you ask your dealer nicely. I'm guessing you can order a bigger battery on its own although i ordered mine with the new bike so not 100% sure.
If you opt for the BMW alarm when purchasing a new S1000RR it will come supplied with a larger battery. If you don't the bike is supplied with a lighter Yuasa YTZ7S MF OEM battery.

I have my bike booked in tomorrow for a software update that the dealer thinks may fix the issue... There was a specific fix that was release a couple of weeks ago that may be the issue around pre startup checks where the voltage maybe under a set limit which is causing the lean angle to stop displaying on startup.

The update was only uploaded to them a week ago, I will find out more tomorrow. Also had my bike looked at twice now with no luck to a fix. Had 2 software updates which also made no difference, third time lucky...

Hope this works!
I have my bike booked in tomorrow for a software update that the dealer thinks may fix the issue... There was a specific fix that was release a couple of weeks ago that may be the issue around pre startup checks where the voltage maybe under a set limit which is causing the lean angle to stop displaying on startup.

The update was only uploaded to them a week ago, I will find out more tomorrow. Also had my bike looked at twice now with no luck to a fix. Had 2 software updates which also made no difference, third time lucky...

Do you happen to know which years the update applies to?

- Sent from Mobile

I had this on my '15, BMW dealer changed the Gyro/Accelerometer for one from their test bike, It has not happened since.

I also changed my battery for a Lithium one, don't know if that made any difference.

The battery terminals were tight so I don't think that was a cause on mine.

Had the update done and will check over the next few days when i use it in the mornings and on the way from home from work.

However i now get a buzzing noise after the pre-startup checks and the noise changes when moving the throttle as i can hear throttle opening inside the engine and the humming noise changes pitch (or whatever its called :)). Does anyone else 16 model do this and when you move the throttle when the engine is off can you hear servos moving and get buzzing noise which i think are the injectors?

Dealer told me i need to let the engine adapt to me which we all know is bollocks as the bike isn't even on so i'll play the game and said i'll call them Friday which no doubt ill be back up there for the 4th time!

I asked Bahnstormers about software updates today - released in the past few weeks - they said they didn't know of any.

But they also said the download system for coding is currently fubar.

Last edited:
Same thing happening on my 2015...

If you start the bike (say after its been in the garage for a week), the lean angle sensor shows during the start-up procedure, but as soon as you hit the starter button, it disappears. I've sent video footage to the dealer and they have said they've never came across this so have sent to BMW to review.

Not hopeful tbh. And yes, a royal pain in the proverbial...

Latest posts

Back