Leaking calipers?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burner

Reaction score
Bike needs to go back to BMW for 2nd service next week and there are beads of brake fluid on the bottom tips of both the calipers. All the banjos seem tight so I think the caliper seals are the culprit. Anyone else here had this and how long did BMW take to rectify it?

Cheers.

i've had leakage and had to replace caliper pistons and seals twice now in 10,000 miles due to corrosion and pitting. BMW not interested both times, reason being "it's a consumable item". I've also had to replace banjos on calipers because of corrosion which is where my leak was coming from, I tried new crush washers first (being 30p each of course) it stopped leak but I could tell from the corrosion around banjo's it wouldn't of been much longer til the pressure caused a leak in a second place.

Thanks Ross. My bikes don'e 1000 miles, 450 running-in, the remainder track only. Been though a set of pads in that time, about 900 miles in. Calipers are pristine, cleaned with soapy water to remove the brake dust etc. Had the calipers off recently to check the pistons and they are clean and in good order. Could be the seals between the 2 halves.

I will say, I ride all year in all conditions and I wash my bike as often as I wash my hair (Bic'd). So BMW say it's my fault. However never had same issues with any Jap bike.

Brake pistons a consumable item ? Seals yes but even these I would expect a reasonable service life.

Mine leaked at 600 miles-the calipers were replaced with no problems at all(apart from the fact they were not a UK or Europe stock item,so I had to wait several weeks!)

Dropped bike at dealer last weekend for service and caliper check. Caliper leak diagnosed to be coming from piston seals. One caliper repair kit in stock in the uk and fitted with the service, 2nd caliper repair kit coming from Germany, and will be fitted next week. All done under warranty, no quibbles.

Back