Just got a full Akra system.....no bike yet though! Questions.....

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dannycox

So although i still have not got my S1kRR yet i have bought a full akra system ready to put on it...........Has anyone else fitted a full system??? Does it make much difference to the power??? i know Akra are stating 10 BHP more with a remap, but i guess they could exagerate if there selling the product!!!! i guess you would need a PCV for that? or does BMW have another way of mapping it??? Also as the bike is brand new, i guess i should wait for the first service to be done before i fit it???? This also means that my Brand New titanium slip on Can will be for sale on ebay soon.....unless anyone on here wants it????

i have had a full Akra system on since day 1 the noise is unreal :D the power delivery is a bit lumpy low down unless you get a pcv or do as im doing and having the ECU flashed
there are may posts about this if you search for them
i got bmw to fit mine for me while they had the bike in bits they were a bit unhappy about it but i told em i wouldnt buy the bike unless they did it
made sense to me as it was in a box at the time !

Ahhh ok, so i take it there were ports for the relative sensors??? i guess i will have to leave the exhaust sevos connected to the wiring loom so the ECU does not give a fault error on the dash???

Ahhh ok, so i take it there were ports for the relative sensors??? i guess i will have to leave the exhaust sevos connected to the wiring loom so the ECU does not give a fault error on the dash???

There are ports for the lambda sensors and just remove the servo cables and leave the motors in place. As Aants says its a bit lumpy low down, I had the ecu remap done as recommended by my dealer. Its smoothed it out and the throttle response is super smooth. Oh and im getting 205 rwhp but thats not why i had it done i just wanted the fuelling correct for the exhaust and the anti wheelie smoothing out .

thanks ekdg......thats good to know. how much did BMW charge you to flash the ECU????

Richc

I paid 700 for it brand new fitted to the bike.....PM me with an offer mate. just bear in mind it wont be for another two weeks as i dont pick the bike up until around the 26th June :)

So you dont need a PCV then???? they can actually alter the mapping on the standard ECU???

Do u want to keep going to u local sho to get it tuned? No? Well get a pcv and u can do it all yourself

Docta13,

had many bikes all with Power commanders, and if one thing i have learnt is you cant beat a custom map. the downloaded ones on the web are never that great (or have not been in the past). So as im going to silverstone on the 19th july i may as well get the experts to remap the original ECU.....makes sense to me. PCV and custom map will cost around 400 to 450 quid. and to to remap the ECU will cost £360. That said i dont know much about this ECU remap first and will do more digging before i go ahead. not keen on blowing the thing up!!

im sure that someone will correct me if im wrong but dont they have to send the ecu off to get it mapped?

also that 360 that u will spend is just on a software update thats a hell of a lot of money for what is effectively a down load.

pcv and custom map is no where near that sort of dough but just my 2 pence worth

I emailed the guy last night, and he replied this morning.....he does the work there and then, so i guess no need to send it away. How much do u reckon a PCV and a custom map is these days docta???? maybe it is worth going down this road instead....new to the beemer so any advice is welcomed pal....

I run a PCV on mine which was mapped to the bike ,the theory behind this choice was i could remove it if i have any issues ( which i havent had)
I suppose the ECU could also be done the same before you took it back.

To 'custom' map an ECU, it needs to be on the bike and done on a dyno with proper gas analasys. "Custom" means to that specific engine, not just the engine type. Outwardly identical engines can require subtly different maps - so many inter-relating components and variability. Even simple stuff like minute differences in injector flow for a given value vary by individual engine. When you're talking millisecond intervals on injector timing (as you are) then the tiniest variance in flow makes a difference.

Sure, you can get close enough with a download map, but if you've modded it at all, manufacturing tolerances on all the bits (multiplying by the amount of mods on it) will mean it's not bob on. I'd doubt a PCV and a mapping session (even without installation costs, if you self-wire it) would come in any cheaper than £360.

i agree with you shug, a PCV is 280 quid, last time i had a bike set up on a dyno it was 180 quid....i make that 460 notes............however i also see fatbobs POV, if the engine goes bang can BMW see u have had the ecu pissed about with a tell you where to shove the warranty????

Totally - I'd be really wary of cracking the ECU on the bike inside warranty. My point was just that mapping a PCV was never gonna cost £360 (or less) to do properly. Totally agree with fatbob's reasoning myself for a bike in warranty - believe he's saying it was custom mapped properly on the PCV.

Depends how you go about it, I went down the PCV and custom map route. Picked up a second hand but unused PCV on ebay for not much cash and going to take my bike to Mick Shanley AT Shaun Muir Racing who look after the Milwakee Yamaha team in bsb. Had my r1 there and the service and facilities they have are second to non. You would also be surprised at there prices as well very reasonable and another bonus is the lads are very friendly and you get to have a nose around some very exotic machinery.

Back