Is it worth it

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damoj

Reaction score
I'm currently looking to buy a s1000rr gen 2 but noticed a gen 3 for a 2k more. Is it worth the extra coin, is the difference really that much. Your experience is appreciated, thanks.

I owned a gen2 and now have a gen3, the short answer is yes it is, you wouldn't be diasppointed with a gen2 but a gen3 is roomier, faster revving, has the very effective DDC suspension, an autoblipper and is available with optional cruise control which all add up to a bike which is better and easier to ride.

2015/2016 bmw s1000rr

The best advice is probably for you to go and visit your local BMW Motorrad dealership and test ride the latest model.

Try them both and decide for yourself if it's worth the extra, it is entirely subjective on what your experience of the bikes is and what significance ?2k is in your grand scheme of things. Everyone who has a 3rd gen will say it's worth it. I like the gen 3 bike for sure, it's easier to ride than the 2nd gen, has more gismos but there's nothing wrong with the 1st or 2nd gen bikes either, it's literally the next evolution of the model.

Hi Damoj, agree entirely with Soof, there is no bad S1000rr just different and more advanced each generation.

JimmyMac

I don't think that most of the optional new toys on the 2015+ can be easily retrofitted, so they are only relevant to your decision if they are fitted to the model you are considering.

That said, knowing that cruise control was available, I wouldn't buy a comparable bike without it - if you've ever done a 27 hour ride at cruising speeds on quiet motorways and dual carriageways with agonising cramp in your right wrist, you'd understand.

how much you willing to spend on a gen 3 bike?
Well I was looking at spending around 10k for a gen2 then seen a gen3 for 12000. I'm still learning on specs of these bikes and this is a big purchase for me as I keep my bikes a long time.

Thanks for the input guys, I was looking for the newest, lowest mileage one possible within my budget. Then seen a 2015 for a little more and got me thinking. The main things I would like is the traction control and anti wheelie things I haven't had before to see if I improve. I would do the usual thing and add exhaust and tune so finding one with a system would be good. I see the 2015 has a lot smaller system with less restriction.

There's little difference in power and straight line speed between the different generations and they all have TC, I wouldn't pay extra for a gen 3 if that's your priority, these things are faster than you'll ever need as standard - what do you ride at the moment?

Last edited:
+1 for the post above mate. If I hadn't already bought mines I would have been after this at that price. Has all the toys and a few of the must have extras already fitted, tail tidy etc.. If you do go for the Gen 3 you could do a lot worse that one.

Can this guy pm me regarding bike or shall I give my number out on this thread.

Hi guys and Damoj

I sold it this morning and it had 2070 miles not 4000. I would have done a deal for anyone from here but its gone I am afraid. Good luck

Thanks for the update asif, hope your good mate and well done on the sale.

No problem, check to see if it has Riding Mode Pro (this is the desirable full electronics pack), cruise control (very useful) and heated grips as they are all options over and above the std Sport model

Was at Parks Mottorad today, red & white 64 plate gen 3 sport, 6500 miles for ?14500!! Totally standard bike. If you went in with a 15 plate you would be lucky to get offered 10.5k for it from a dealer.

Latest posts

Back