Insurance...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Having moved to London, I'm finally in a position to bring the bike to London too (instead of it being back in Norfolk).
I've done a few quotes, ?612 has been the best for SE17, Male, No Convictions/Crashes, BMW Alarm, DataTag, Garaged, 36y/o riding for 5 years.
Does everyone think that's a fair price?

Additionally, I've seen zero discount being applied if I select the addition of a BikeTrac (as I was thinking that would be a good idea), which is rubbish, surely the industry should reward people for fitting them? Is it best to call?

Sounds about right- I'm paying ?750 with BMW (Devitt/Equity Red Star), with the bike locked up in my back garden (now have a Secure A Bike safe, must see if I get a discount!), SW11, but on the edge of council estate, 44 years young and with 6 points on my licence. Also my VFR800 is on the same policy.

I've also got a BikeTrac- the problem is you shouldn't advertise that the bike has a tracker, the thinking being that the thief will endeavour to find it and remove it. So the bike isn't any less likely to be nicked, you just have a good chance of recovering it in the event. I can kind of understand why insurers won't give you a discount in that case.

I've also got Datatag and Smartwater applied, but most insurers will only give you discount for one security device, which I kind of can't understand!

Last edited:
Totally agree on the advertising of a BikeTrac...more hidden the better. But with high recovery rates reducing outlay for Insurance companies they would give a discount too.

Has anyone actually used Bike trac to locate their bike? can you track on a app or just at their control centre?

You can buy a GPS Tracker as cheap as chips and the size of a packet of fags. Works with a SIM card inserted. You dial the number and hang up, it then sends you a text with GPS co-ordinates. Works with its own or bike battery. eBay is full of them from China and UK for about ?30 to ?60. that's it no monthly fee's.
Don't think you will get reduced insurance using it mind. If you use a Vodafone sim it does not have time expired.

Has anyone actually used Bike trac to locate their bike? can you track on a app or just at their control centre?

Yep, there's a portal that shows your bike position, where you've been, battery voltage etc. Works on mobiles too.

My insurer (Bennetts) gave me a discount for the first security device declared and offered nothing extra for additional security devices. Whilst I have the BMW alarm, a ground anchor and various locks and chains, the only device I declared was the factory immobiliser - the only device I can't disable or neglect to use if I'm not at home or only going to be there for a few minutes, and the only device they can't use as an excuse to refuse to pay out if it is stolen in such circumstances.

Latest posts

Back