Rant - Insurance for New Riders

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when i bought mine a few weeks back, i didnt bother checking the insurance... It was a bit of an impulse purchase really - i didnt actually go out looking to buy a bike, it just happened!
Then i realised that becasue i still had my GSX-R600 i couldnt use the same NCB on the S1000RR...

Fortunatly i have a third bike, a KTM300 that cost me about £90quid/year to insure, and its policy had just expired, so i was able to take the 1year NCB from my KTM300 and use it to insure my S1000RR. £650 fully comp from eBike (unlimited mileage!!) which looks like its going to drop considerably next year (assuming no 2years NCB)
(Im 37, held my fully licence since i was 17, bike in locked garage)
So that 90quid to insure my KTM was money well spent!!

Umm S1000rr as a first big bike not sure you have made a wise decision there! you have purchased one of the world’s most powerful production bikes, that like buy a Lamborghini just after passing your driving test. Get a few years under your belt on a 600cc bike first in my opinion. You need to learn to ride first before trying to tame nearly 200 BHP.

Each to their own this is just my opinion

I reckon an S1000RR in 'Rain' mode is safer than a lot of 600 bikes - ABS, Traction control, anti wheelie, etc etc that many learner type bikes dont have.
Like all bikes, they only go as fast as you ask them to, so as long as you dont try to run before you can walk, an S1000RR wouldnt be too bad...

I rode my sv650 for 2 and a half years after passing my test, then went and bought the s1000rr. I tried telling my friend who passed his test, rode his er6n Kawasaki for 5 months, then jumped to a ninja 636 even though me and my friends tried telling him he was crazy and should ride the er6n for at least a year before getting the ninja. He didn't listen and 2month later died. If I'm honest, it wasn't his fault, car pulled out when he was passing and pushed him off the road.

Anyway, it is a big jump, just be careful and enjoy it. If you ever find insurance.

I do agree with joeman though. Rain mode is very tame until your higher up the rev range. I started riding mine on that and worked my way up the modes. I stay in race now. Good way to start on the bike really.

Op, Have you tried Carol Nash, they might do a bespoke policy for you, say massively increase the Excess? I asked them to do a bespoke policy for me as at 1st they refused to insure my bikes due to location of the storage arrangements I had at the time. They came up trumps.

Carole Gash were one of the companies who quoted me, gave me confidence I could buy the bike, then would not insure me once I had actually ordered it. The guy I spoke to was very helpful in trying to go through the different elements of the policy and playing with them to see what had triggered the change, and ultimately referred it upwards. All with no success. So, OP, whilst I'd try anything you can, don't worry if they can't help.

it's funny people have mentioned about rain mode as I was thinking of doing exactly that, I don't plan to hoon it around like a nob-head, although admittedly there are times when even on the 650 now I give it a bit of beans, thought generally it's in situations where I feel the odds are more stacked in my favour of not getting killed, such as dry weather, good visiblity on straights with no oncoming traffic for example, and even then i'd only be doing like a quick overtake then coming back to normal riding. I am not the kind of rider that just gives it beans all the time everywhere, I am quite cautious by nature, but I do take the points on board.

Last year I lost my mother (she died relatively young 66), and I promised myself then that life's too short, and I'd go for my dreams, and do what makes me happy. This is why I've bought the bike, it's not to showboat, it's not to look good, it's not to immitate marc marquez on the public roads, I just want to live the dream before I get much older, (I'm 35 now) and can't get on the bike. Thanks to all for their input.

Fair play to you Stu. When you're covered maybe see you at Hawes or Hartside sometime.

Latest posts

Back