HP4/S1000RR tailpack and Merry Christmas!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HP44

Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone, hope Santa was good to you all! I just thought I would let you all know that the BMW tailpack for my HP4 is by far and away the very best tailpack I have ever had on any bike! I go abroad every year for 2 weeks to enjoy European twisty roads under hotter sunshine (although it normally rains for some of it) and cheaper beer than at home, I have used Oxford tank bags and tail packs since 2000 on a few different bikes, a mate uses the Venturi system and a few others use non branded items. I can't believe that all the other manufactures have missed out on selling kit specifically for their bikes, the BMW tail pack is water proof, has 3 simple straps to secure it to the bike and has a moulded shape made from soft rubber that helps locate and prevent movement when using your bike. It is not even expensive compared to Oxford gear! No more messing about with ratchet straps and water proof covers for me. Thanks to my gorgeous wife for getting it and for those that tour on their bike, I can't recommend this tail pack enough!

Yes they are great until you use it for a few thousand miles, mine has holes where it rubbed and certainly isn't waterproof and one of the straps broke.
Still perhaps your wife still has the receipt so you could get a refund.

Yes they are great until you use it for a few thousand miles, mine has holes where it rubbed and certainly isn't waterproof and one of the straps broke.
Still perhaps your wife still has the receipt so you could get a refund.

Oh. Bugger. There was me thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread! I will keep people posted on how it performs after my 2000 ish mile Pyrenee tour in June....

Hi there,
I too got one for Xmas after seeing one of the tailpacks at the NEC bike show.
It fits the bike superbly and cant see where it would rub enough anywhere to cause holes!
Regarding the waterproof issue - standard procedure for me is to pack all my gear in plastic bags regardless of any waterproof claims and it will still be quicker to load and unload than wrestling with Kreiger packs etc and alot easier to access.
Rest assured HP44 I believe your wife made a good choice.

Very happy with my Kreiga US-20 tail bag and rucksack. Quite like the look of Wunderlich's mini tank bag, anybody got one of those??

Hi there,
I too got one for Xmas after seeing one of the tailpacks at the NEC bike show.
It fits the bike superbly and cant see where it would rub enough anywhere to cause holes!
Regarding the waterproof issue - standard procedure for me is to pack all my gear in plastic bags regardless of any waterproof claims and it will still be quicker to load and unload than wrestling with Kreiger packs etc and alot easier to access.
Rest assured HP44 I believe your wife made a good choice.
Hi Sockets!
Congrats on the bag and I had the same thoughts as you, maybe PGM had a one off bad un? I cant believe other manufactures are not producing something similar. Oh and I will use a bin liner just as a precaution. Like I said at the start of the thread I will keep everyone posted after June.

Very happy with my Kreiga US-20 tail bag and rucksack. Quite like the look of Wunderlich's mini tank bag, anybody got one of those??
Never spoke to an Alien before..... but here goes... Hi Alien,
Some of the lads I go on tour with use a Kreiger 10 and 20 straped together and they have completed 4 tours like this with no problems. Thing is when I follow them the bags move all over the shop! So I was keen to get a moulded bag that would minimise that horrible movement and feeling of loosing your kit!

Hi there again HP44 and Alien,
I used kreiger 20 and 10 strapped on top of each other on my last 3 trips - best part of 5500miles.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with them and there are 100% waterproof and very rugged - however a couple of the excess strap stowage clips broke (doesn't stop you tightening the straps up though).
My main reason for changing to the Beemer bag is that your kit is much more accessible and the task of fitting and removing in far simpler.
Due to the nature of the fit of the beemer bag it is not necessary to tighten the straps to 'guitar string' tension which is what I had to do with kreiger pack esp when stacking one on top of the other.
Regarding the front straps - one I have looped round my akropovic exhaust hanger and am devising a spacer for the left side as I have removed the pillion pegs.
I am on an Alpine tour in July and also going to Scotland in Sept which should give it a thorough work out.
Great thread this - and very useful getting other peoples feedback.
Later - Sockets.

Haha feel I should do an R2D2 impression now! Fair point. I tend to re-tighten and check the straps on every fill up, but if you didn't do that then I could imagine the straps loosening allowing the bag to move about a bit. I guess how fast you going will impact on this aswell.

after my 2000 ish mile Pyrenee tour in June....

Snap!

maybe I've got it wrong but the tail bag for the rr I looked at in the dealers last year was tiny? Are you taking any other luggage?

Have to say the BMW Tail pack is brilliant assuming that you install it correctly. I normally not a fan of tail packs, but this one really good, only complaint is i wish it was a little bigger.

Have to say the BMW Tail pack is brilliant assuming that you install it correctly. I normally not a fan of tail packs, but this one really good, only complaint is i wish it was a little bigger.

+1

Hi Alien,
That's what I did too - they do loosen a bit but never look like they will come off. Just a bit or a nightmare if you want to get something out en-route!

Hi there,
Think you may have mistaken the tank bag for tailpack? (tank bag is tiny and you have to fit an unsightly bracket too).
The BMW motorad tailpack is about 25-30litres and ample for all your kit unless you intend taking a dinner suit LOL!

Hi there,
Think you may have mistaken the tank bag for tailpack? (tank bag is tiny and you have to fit an unsightly bracket too).
The BMW motorad tailpack is about 25-30litres and ample for all your kit unless you intend taking a dinner suit LOL!

nope, tail bag for sure.

Be interested to know how much kit you guys get in one for touring.

Hi Alien,
That's what I did too - they do loosen a bit but never look like they will come off. Just a bit or a nightmare if you want to get something out en-route!
Yeah that's true. The first time I used mine I didn't realise that BMW fitted luggage straps to the pillion seat and spent a good hour fixing Kreigas own straps to my sub frame! Duh! Always pays to read the manual!

Ive been using my tail pack on trips away for over 3 years now, as others have said it is not fully waterproof, I use a bin bag to line the tail pack 1st. My tailpack used to move/creep forward, I fixed this by putting this rubber matting http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Ru...31?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e7bb1a47f on the seat before putting the bag on top. Also, I cable tie the rear strap to the number plate holder to stop the bag moving forward, when the bag is removed the cable tie stays put.
I can get enough gear in the bag for a weeks trip if I am economical with what I take and how I pack it. The base shape is just right to pack trainers first.
It would be good to have a couple of loops on the top of the bag so that I can tie my waterproofs on top (outside).
It is a good looking bag when on the bike and is good for very high speeds if secured enough.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back