Hi, new to The forum and new to BMW

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie Mac

Reaction score
So by way of introduction, Stevie from Lanark here.

Been a Fireblade man for years, both road and track, always admired the S1000RR and finally decided to take the plunge. Sold the both Blades and jumped right in and took delivery of a 16 S1000RR Sport yesterday.
Been raining up here for what feels like months so ive been climbing the walls waiting for the roads to dry up and get started on the running in phase, hopefully get out tomorrow. Haven't even had so much as a test drive on one yet but I have ridden my mates 13 plate, loved that and by all accounts the gen 3 is in a different league again so looking forward to knocking the miles in this season.
I've still got a wee K7 600 track bike in the garage so that will cover the track fun this year. Plan is to use the S1000 and rack up some road miles this year then get it on to the track where it belongs next year.
Found this site last night and had a good look around, looks like the place to be so here I am :)

Thanks for looking in,
Stevie

Welcome to the forum..... I have a mate up in Lanark.... I must come up and see him (and you if that way... Will pop in for a cuppa.... But a long way from Surrey :)

Thanks for the welcome mate. Went for the Motorsport colours, was torn between that and black to be honest. Got the Akro end can as well, and a free Tyco jacket :) I'm up in Scotland but bought the bike from Chester Motorrad, got the Akro and performance package thrown in as part of the deal as well. Didn't spec the forged wheels, thinking that may have been a mistake but I'll look to get some BST's or something similar when I'm ready to track it next year.

Always welcome to drop by II, kettle always on the go, bit of a treck that right enough!

Hi Stuart, weather any better down there? This is murder, freezing as well! I've taken to sitting on the bike in the garage making broom broom noises now! Should get out for a blast tomorrow.

Hi Stevie, welcome to the best site on the web. I hope it warms up enough for you to get out, it's positively tropical over here in the Kingdom!!

I have been out on mine a few times recently over to Oban and Inverary, a wee bit chilly on the hands but otherwise ok. If you see me out and about, don't be shy, I'll keep a look out for your bike too, is it a long or short Akra you have.

JimmyMac

Hi Stuart, weather any better down there? This is murder, freezing as well! I've taken to sitting on the bike in the garage making broom broom noises now! Should get out for a blast tomorrow.

Up here from you. I'm at the foot of Loch Lomond. Weathers been piss poor like Jimmy I've had a few runs out. Check my post under the pics n videos bit. For once I stopped on our racetrack to take some images for the forum.. Roll on the good weather. Canny wat

Hi stevie

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bike. Awesome. I have just booked up a trip to Scotland in June so hoping to see and say hello to a few of you during my travels. I'll bring some sunshine with me ;).

Hi Stevie, welcome! I did not go for the forged wheels either and don't feel like I have missed out. I am using the bike on track as well as the occasional commute and its been perfect. Like you if I upgrade wheels will probably think about the BST's too!

Hi Stevie, welcome to the best site on the web. I hope it warms up enough for you to get out, it's positively tropical over here in the Kingdom!!

I have been out on mine a few times recently over to Oban and Inverary, a wee bit chilly on the hands but otherwise ok. If you see me out and about, don't be shy, I'll keep a look out for your bike too, is it a long or short Akra you have.

JimmyMac
Hi Jimmy, that's a proper run up to Oban and Inverary, some really good roads up that way as well. My usual Saturday morning run is a accros to Bigger, down through Broughton to Moffat and back up accros St Mary's loch. It's a s good as any track I've ever been on. I'll keep an eye out for you mate, I'll be up that way in a couple of weeks, got a few mates up Cuper way although one of them is laid up with a broken foot after an early season off at East Fortune.

Mines is has the long Akra.

Hi Stevie, welcome! I did not go for the forged wheels either and don't feel like I have missed out. I am using the bike on track as well as the occasional commute and its been perfect. Like you if I upgrade wheels will probably think about the BST's too!
Thanks for the feedback mate, I've been out today for the first time and the cast wheels are plenty good enough, so much sharper handling than the blade!

Hi stevie

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bike. Awesome. I have just booked up a trip to Scotland in June so hoping to see and say hello to a few of you during my travels. I'll bring some sunshine with me ;).
Sunshine will be most welcome mate, let us know where your headed and when and I'll have a look out for you mate. If your passing Lanark way I'll get the kettle on.

That's a great part of the country you live Stuart, some great roads on your door step. Thanks for the heads up on the App, I'll dig it out. Managed to get a run today, dry all day as well.

Re: Hi, new to forum and new to BMW

Not sure where this should live on the forum so feel free to move if in the wrong place.

Well the rain stopped and I managed to get my first go on the bike today. 120 miles completed round the local back roads and first impressions are.......... Awesome!!!
As said in my intro, I've been on blades for long enough. The blade is a user friendly and pretty refined bike, smooth linear power delivery, predictable and easy to handle and comfortable enough. My road bike was a 2012 and my track bike was a very well set up 09, KTech DDS20 forks, Ohlins TTX rear, Suter slipper clutch, HM QS etc....

So for what it's worth and if your thinking of buying one of these, first impressions in summary (bearing in mind the 7k running in limit)

Comfort - perfect, no aches and pains, nice seat height and fairly easy on the wrists. The rear sets are positioned a bit to far forward for me and I found the rear break a bit awkward to reach, particularly mid corner. I'll be getting replacement rear sets ASAP and with some minor adjustment I'm convinced I can get the perfect set-up. Will the HP 4 Gilles rearsets fit?

Chassis - handling was a real revelation. I'm still trying to recalibrate my mind as to how quick the bike turns in, found myself way over compensating in terms of entry speed and line so many times, really easy to change direction and feels well planted on the front. Stock tyres are Metzzler K3's. Brakes are very good as well, way better than the blade stock brakes. I had Brembo M4 calipers and an RCS MC on my track bike and with what I could feel today the brakes set up is comparable although not really comparing apples for apples in terms of riding style.

Engine - obviously still limited to 7k however the throttle response and power delivery feels very good accros what rev range I could use. Super smooth and plenty of low to mid range grunt. The feel from the throttle is very good and feels really precise. He fueling at low revs for 200bhp sports bike is brilliant. It does feel a bit weird pulling away in 1st, almost as though it has a pre set throttle position to get you away?? Still works, just feels different.

Gearbox - I've read a fair bit online including some complaints that the gears need a really positive shove to engage using the quick shifter and blipper. I thought it was really good, upshifting using the QS was smooth and faultless and although slightly vauge, the down shifts and blipper worked very well. You do have to be positive with the gear changes on the way back down the box but still a great feature that actually works in the real world.

1st impressions is this is easily the best bike I've ever ridden. Way exceeded my expectations and makes a 2012 Fireblade feel like something from the 80,s. Super quick and focused but so user friendly, it's a complete contradiction! Everything works as it should, no useless gimmicks. Can't wait to get the 1st service out of the way see what's waiting above the 10k rev range :) only downside is the rearset position but that's a personal thing and easy fixed.

Last edited:
Nice write up stevie.

The HP4 pegs won't fit the 3rd gen bike :(.

Fun starts after the limiter is removed :).

Last edited:
Back