HELP… Peoblems with my 2012 s1000rrMi

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flight

Reaction score
Hi there guys,

I recently purchased a 2012 S100RR. I love it but there have been some issues...

1) quick shifter doesnt work after 6-7000rpm
2) lots of micro fractures all over the headlight . hard to see but when you look close…. you can see them all over.
3) bad bad break fade… bubbles in the system . Spongy lever have to have it on the maximum setting. still not great. Bled it a few times…
4)Mirror flops in at high speed

BMW have the bike and they seem confident they can help. Im worried though. Dont want a huge bill…

Has any one else had these problems or similar?

can the quick shifter be adjusted? are the prone to failure?
some said it may be the ABS pumping bubbles into the system? could this be possible?

I would really appreciate your help. Thank you guys.

has anyone had problems with their quick shifter? Do they normally shift seamlessly all the way throughh the rev range?

has anyone had problems with their quick shifter? Do they normally shift seamlessly all the way throughh the rev range?

Hi,
sorry to hear about the problem you are having, but yes the shifter is a known issue. Its sh!te
Mine plays up too with false neutrals, failed shifts and general use of the shifter seems to damage the gearbox over time. That is just one issue with these bikes, if you do a search on here you will find plenty more common faults unfortunately :(

The shift assist is very clunky at lower revs but should become a lot smoother at the higher end, just don't use it near the red line as if it tries upshifting when the limiter comes into play it has the potential to damage your gearbox if done regularly. It should definitely work all through the rev range though.

Urban, have you tried an HM shifter instead?

Last edited:
The shift assist is very clunky at lower revs but should become a lot smoother at the higher end, just don't use it near the red line as if it tries upshifting when the limiter comes into play it has the potential to damage your gearbox if done regularly. It should definitely work all through the rev range though.

Urban, have you tried an HM shifter instead?

no… but I may have to… I have had plenty of gear grinding and false nuetrals… horrible sound...

i had a mine replaced at about 10k i think.
There are QS problems / gearbox problems on most bikes on the internet , I've seen good discussions suggesting from a longevity perpsective that quick shifters can affect the life of other components.
Any bike can have air trapped in its brake system , erm the mirror............not sure what that could be
Don't let the fucking trolls put you on a downer ;)

BMW called. They did the :
stand recall
adjusted the quickshifter
and REPLACED THE SUMP!!! (Apparently it was corroded and was covered under warranty!!)

They infromed me the mirrror has broken plastic clips with in the mirror , thats why its flopping…
the head lights theyre putting in a second claim as the first one was turned down. BMW said a cleaning product to strong had been used and thats why the headlights had the strange fracture appearance. Hopefully the second apply will be successfull as I pointed out that the screen doesnt have these fractures...

wish me luck...

The standard shift assist is only a microswitch and not a strain gage quick shiffter I am just about to fit an HM plus to my bike which is completely programmable not cheap but so much better than the stock shiffter

they changed my light under warranty , they should change yours , dont take no for an answer.
cheeky bastards asked about cleaning products too

they changed my light under warranty , they should change yours , dont take no for an answer.
cheeky bastards asked about cleaning products too

this is what they said to me…
" The bike must have been cleaned with a cleaning product that wasnt used properly . The product is ok to use when the bike is wet but not when dry"

Now… they couldnt tell me what product. And they concluded this from a visual point of view. But the screen is fine. The clocks are fine. The paint work is fine… just the headlights… Ive been back and forth with them for a few days now. The bikes not even one year old… The headlights look 10 YEARS OLD!

Advice? anyone?

Deny the cleaning product profusely , they have no proof and you always always always follow the manufacturers guidelines!!!
Tell them you are part of a forum and others have had this issue sorted.
So why do other bmw dealers honour this.
If you want to site my case feel free , it was done my williams manchester last year , no quibbles really , besides the cleaning question.
It must be a known issue.
You could also take your mam with ya ;) , mums always fuckin sort shit out :)

done , everything addressed . New head lights and tail lights , new sump , oil change , stand recall , quickshifter… Sorted…

Hi Bud, ignore my PM on the other site :welcoming:

BMW have said that the sump which they replaced in March this year due to corrosion needs changing again FFS.
It is apparently showing signs of 'pitting', they asked me what I use to clean the bike with was it acid based !!!.
I said just a normal shampoo, and asked if there were any other signs on the bike 'No' was the reply.
I guess BMW have a metallurgic issue with whatever metal they use in the sump.

Hi Bud, ignore my PM on the other site :welcoming:

BMW have said that the sump which they replaced in March this year due to corrosion needs changing again FFS.
It is apparently showing signs of 'pitting', they asked me what I use to clean the bike with was it acid based !!!.
I said just a normal shampoo, and asked if there were any other signs on the bike 'No' was the reply.
I guess BMW have a metallurgic issue with whatever metal they use in the sump.

yes… cheap materials being used… All my banjos , nuts , bolts and all sorts look like poo too… I might ask if they we replace them too...

Back