Hello from Cardiff...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny88

Reaction score
Halo everybody, just registered as have a major need for a S1000rr in my life.

currenlty own an Nc30 and a 1150gs which I?ve toured on all over Europe but want something quick sporty and fun.

Took my my brothers CBR1000 to Germany last year and need a sports bike now. :eek:

Got it a test ride booked at the local dealer next Saturday morning, any advice for me?

Then just need to work out best way to purchase, new second hand? Need to give that one some thought I think.

Dan

Welcome in Danny.. good time to buy just now.. good deals to be had.. what you looking to spend ? Gen 2 is more refined than a Gen 1.. Gen 3 has more toys.

You'll have your pick and good idea to shop around.

Stuart

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi Stuart, thanks for the reply. From my limited knowledge I think it’s best to try and get to a gen 3 which are from 2015 onwards? if I buy new and own for considerable time then the extra for the toys are not such an issue I don’t think over perhaps 60 instalments.

Im in two minds though regarding purchasing a new or finding an approved used 2015 or later.

Have you you purchased yours new or used? any advice? I have read that I should defiantly get the first service thrown in price which is 600 miles to de restrict it and usually around ?200?

Also trying to justify the cost knowing I cannot ride to work due to job location and will only be able to ride some weekends etc but on the other hand, only love once don’t you. :)

Hi Danny.. I've an HP4 Carbon.. soon as I saw it I bought having never ridden one or a thouRR for that matter. I bought mine when it was 2 years old and had 3000 on the clock, it was totally unmarked.

Yes your quite right about the later models..it's down to you and your negotiating skills how far you can push a salesman.

If you purchase new I am sure the 600 mile service and therfore derestriction will likely be thrown in with most dealers..but I may be wrong. Someone on here will correct that if Wrong.. if you do any work on your machine you should sign up as a premier member this gives you access to among other things the workshop manual and data which is invaluable. (Premier Membership) under the banner..If your on tapatalk you won't see it..use a lappie or PC. Plus the boss Soofsayer will give some stickers and a big hug..lol.

Forgot to say the big thing right now in your favour is time of the year...January and February I would think are dead for most outlets.

Hi danny, bmw approved used are usually ex demo bikes and should be a good saving against new, same warranty and piece of mind, probably what I would do if I wanted a gen 3. Welcome to the forum. :)

Not fancy a mint HP4... stunning looking machine

http://www.john-clark.co.uk/too-good-to-trade/used-bikes/7800835-bmw-hp4-carbon-hp4-carbon/

Has to be considered don't you think...good wee dealer them..Jimmy Macs a good customer of theirs. Not had a hard life if you look at the lack of wear on the pegs/grips etc..all intact and original from what I can see. Not even had a tail tidy on it..unless the guy did and reinstalled the original, which I doubt.

Stuart

Last edited:
Tanks Stuart, good find. Forgive my lack of knowledge but what are the differences between RR and HP4? Is it mainly higher quality brake system and slightly more horspower?

Tanks Stuart, good find. Forgive my lack of knowledge but what are the differences between RR and HP4? Is it mainly higher quality brake system and slightly more horspower?
Danny read through this.. rather than me babbling on..

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...3/january/jan0313-bmw-s1000rr-vs-s1000rr-hp4/

They look sensational too.. the carbon, body work and blue forged rims make it stand out from the pack I think.

Stuart

n.b.

2014 S1000RR vs 2015 S1000RR
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/2015/january/a-giant-leap/

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Danny!

What are some of your favourite riding locations/riding experiences in Europe?

Re SThou?s, I agree with both Stuart and Soofsayer in looking at an ?Approved Used? example. As Stuart says this is a good time of year to purchase.

Re RR vs HP4, you?ll notice that people with HP4?s recommend HP4?s and people with Gen 3 RR?s recommend Gen 3 RR?s lol [emoji16]
To that end, I would recommend a Gen 3 RR! [emoji6]
In reality, both options are superb and you will be over the moon with either. The Gen 3 RR is the ?technically? better/newer bike, whereas the HP4?s are more ?premium/special?.

If you would like more information on the Gen 3 RR just ask [emoji4]

Enjoy the forum and your test ride next Saturday! Fingers crossed the weather is dry and hopefully you?ll be on an SThou in the near future [emoji4]

Oli

Welcome Danny, I think you are going to have a great choice of bike if buying now as sales are slow.

I am am very bias towards the HP4 as I have had my Carbon since new in 2013.

As a bit of reading and watching for you, the HP4 was introduced at the end of 2012 as to homologise the model so that BMW could race it in the Superstock class in WSBK, it took the title the first time of asking by Sylvian Barrier and was the first bike with active suspension to achieve this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-l_YewU4JJU

The production run was limited and due to the fact that the Carbon panels were being made by Becker who had huge commitments to F1 teams only around 15% of all HP4's made were the "HP4 Competition" which was the name BMW chose for the bike and is used worldwide but for some reason everyone in the UK called it the "HP4 Carbon" and that title has stuck.

The differences were: loads of carbon fibre parts, Gilles rearsets and levers and blue wheels.

The one for sale at Clarks that Stuart put up has been in there for a few months as I looked at it in October and was seriously thinking of buying it, however I am still hoping that there is a HP4 Road model going to be released this year as I have first dibs on one from Clarks but it is looking increasingly unlikely.

Due to the time of year and the fact it's been there a while might be worth giving them a shout, although if you buy a Gen 3 you will not be disappointed as they are an absolutely fantastic machine which will exceed all your expectations and put a huge smile on your face everytime you sling your leg over it.

You are absolutely right, we are here for a great time not a long time.

Happy hunting Danny and a massive Scottish welcome to you.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
I didnt know about the 15% carbons jimmy, thought it was near 50/50, thanks for the info.

I didnt know about the 15% carbons jimmy, thought it was near 50/50, thanks for the info.

Definitly 15% Soofy, was at Hokenheim on launch day and the guys there were worried it wouldn't even be 15% as Becker were so committed to the F1 teams. Unsurprisingly BMW then got heavily into carbon manufacturing in there own right so as to not rely on other companies who wouldn't be bullied.

Makes you realise just how rare these bikes are.

JimmyMac

Definitly 15% Soofy, was at Hokenheim on launch day and the guys there were worried it wouldn't even be 15% as Becker were so committed to the F1 teams. Unsurprisingly BMW then got heavily into carbon manufacturing in there own right so as to not rely on other companies who wouldn't be bullied.

Makes you realise just how rare these bikes are.

JimmyMac
Great info as usual Jimmy [emoji106]

Stuart

Not sure about quantities but I do know the hp4 was the reason bmw went to akrapovic for the carbon and also that the hp4 was sold as just that , a hp4 with or without the competition package ( carbon ) . I have a broshure somewhere with this info in and when home next week will dig it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This one Jay?

227bd94d25d971030e4d53b80856bb00.jpg

7ccb0ca7d0a485be94953fb212a162d3.jpg

037a97658b087a7159f1b88b093038cb.jpg

889c863f953b39e4a6ff3acdd2319f94.jpg

5db734906014cc2ff905e14470b1fa4c.jpg

JimmyMac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone thanks for all the welcomes and taking the time to inform me, the write ups on the HP4 and gen 2 and gen3 are very interesting and answered a lot of my questions.

For me the HP4 is the most beautiful but I?m edging toward the technical advantages of the gen 3 models.

Im looking forward to Saturday and getting some time on my test ride alone to understand all these amazing attributes this bike can offer, almost just want to cut out the ride and just buy one lol.

Regarding my trips, I?ve done a lot, my father owned a house in south of france for many years so we would take the opportunity to ride down twice a year finding the twistiest roads we could, we got pretty good at this and the roads in france, as some of you will know are 100 times better than UK. Both regarding road condition and amount of people on them.

In France we tended to use the Michelin road map showing the best roads available but came across a road known as the Route Nepoleon, this apparently is top 5 best biking roads on the planet and I have to admit, it did not disappoint, unbelievable roads and scenery. The Route Napoleon is approx 120 miles long of winding perfecting and in part crosses directly above Monaco, this meant that for a large porton of this route, that seemed at the time made specifically for bikers, you were over taking million ? super cars every 10 mins.

Anyone wants a link let me know but I think it?s pretty well known.

The other great biking holiday was the ALPs. We rode to a hotel in Austria, a bikers hotel, so basically bikes and beer was pretty much the aim of the game with a free pint being handed to you as you pull up, that?s what I call service :)

We had 2 weeks in total, exploring the area alone and on pre arranged ride outs with the locals, one of which was the ?3 countries route? where you ride an effective huge circle across the alps entering Slovenia,Italy and Austria again, I think this was the best tour I?ve ever been on and highly recommend, I know I?d do it again tomorrow.

Dan

Latest posts

Back