Newbie from Basingstoke

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevman

Reaction score
Hi all!

My story is short. Last Saturday went with mate for a coffee as he was getting his bike serviced. Ended up buying S1000RR 2015, which I am picking up tomorrow! Can't wait!

Only been riding around 5 years (early mid-life crisis :nevreness:). My first bike was Honda CBF1000, which I had for just over 18 months. Then Kawasaki Z1000SX for just under 3 years. Now S1000RR.

I do occasional track days and tour in Europe with mates once a year. I am a bit worried about touring on S1000RR as I am quite big lad, but this year's tour is already done, so I have the whole year to get used to new machine.

Cheers.

Welcome Nev,

That's some impulse buying right there :)
With regards to the touring, many have done it and enjoyed it. There's a whole raft of ways to make it more enjoyable for the taller/heavier riders. Comfort Seat from BMW or Sargent. Adjustable rearsets, from BMW, Lightech, Alpha Racing, Gilles etc. Even Variable height/reach bars from Wunderlich etc.

Enjoy browsing the parts catalogues ;) But I would test the bike over a couple of hundred miles to decide if you need anything at all.

Welcome to the forum....

I know Basingstoke well.... got relatives there and spend many a summer holidays at the Pitch and Put .... cycling from Hackwood Road roundabout (my cousin owns the shop there)

Great buy.... I got my bike last year and as soon as the 600 mile service was done, did 3,500 miles around Europe... (all stock).... It was great....

I thought I would be aching, but I just gelled with the bike, no aches or pains (other that the vibration)- that was quickly sorted with heavier Bar Ends....

As Alex said, get out and see how you get on... :)

Will give you a should next time out that way...

Thanks guys! I can't wait. 24 more hours to go ;)
Hope to see some of you around at some point.

Cheers

Hi Nevman,
One of my favourite regular rides is from Loomies via Alton and Basingstoke to Newbury. SUCH great roads around your area.
Congrats and enjoy, H

Thanks!

Hi Nevman,
One of my favourite regular rides is from Loomies via Alton and Basingstoke to Newbury. SUCH great roads around your area.
Congrats and enjoy, H
One of my favourite regular rides is exactly the opposite direction ;) We call it 'Loomies circuit' :D Often all the way down to Portsdown Hill and back.
I may go down there for a blast on the weekend, weather permitting.

Thanks!

One of my favourite regular rides is exactly the opposite direction ;) We call it 'Loomies circuit' :D Often all the way down to Portsdown Hill and back.
I may go down there for a blast on the weekend, weather permitting.

I've only recently been on that road between Basingstoke to near Bahnstormers what a cracking road, I understand the circuit you're taking towards Fareham as I did it after work! Too easy to put miles on the bike. I was surprised its only 16 mins from Loomies upto the first roundabout on the A339. Nice little stretch

Hope you're enjoying getting used to the s1k & hope to see you out soon

I've only recently been on that road between Basingstoke to near Bahnstormers what a cracking road, I understand the circuit you're taking towards Fareham as I did it after work! Too easy to put miles on the bike. I was surprised its only 16 mins from Loomies upto the first roundabout on the A339. Nice little stretch

Hope you're enjoying getting used to the s1k & hope to see you out soon
Oh yes! This stretch of road is amazing. But it's also called a widow maker for a reason. It's so easy to go stupid in some areas.
See you around mate.

Welcome to the forum Nevman!

Congratulations on your 15 Gen 3 RR, that was a very wise impulse purchase! ;)

Judging by the posts it sounds like you've got some fantastic roads near you, I'm sure you'll rack up many miles on your RR very soon. And I'm sure you'll enjoy every one of them :)

Re comfort, I'm 6"2" and do reasonably high mileage and have had no issues with my 15 RR. It's got to be one of the comfiest sports bikes, particularly for the taller gentleman.

As some of the others have said, it's definitely worthwhile trying out the stock bike first before delving straight into the aftermarket.
The only ergonomic mods I made were HP rearsets (though I would recommend Alpha Racing instead), tank traction pads and a much taller screen.

Enjoy your new steed, and the forum and may you have many good times ahead of you!

Oli

Thanks guys.
Picked up the bike today around 2pm from Bahnstormer Alton. What a great experience! They have not only put the tax on it but also new front tyre, even though it wasn't part of the deal! Above all that, they have even set up the suspension sag FOC! So this was only a beginning of a very exciting afternoon. I have then racked up first 70+ miles, getting used to the bike. At first the wrists and neck were getting a bit funny, but not for long.
But the highlight of the afternoon was the full throttle on the 2nd gear!!! What the f*ck was that??? I was momentarily pushed into warp speed! Didn't know what the hell is going on and probably the most stupid grin arrived on my face then. And it's still there. Wife thinks I need professional help to take it off :D

So, I am very pleased with the purchase and equally excited looking forward to put more and more miles on the bike. Only the weather is not currently on my side.

2nd gear WOT is not for the faint hearted! Good effort on the first run!
Stick a pick up when you can :)

- Sent from Mobile

Really glad you've throughly enjoyed your first ride! I think we all remember the first time we opened up our bikes for the first time [emoji16]

Best part is, that feeling you have, it doesn't wear off ... !!!

Really glad you've throughly enjoyed your first ride! I think we all remember the first time we opened up our bikes for the first time [emoji16]

Best part is, that feeling you have, it doesn't wear off ... !!!

Too right Oli. I remember the first time I wound her up properly.
I was feeling a bit pissed off with the bike and garage who didn't check the back brake on PDI (it fell off and was lost) and they had forgotten to remove the rev limiter on it's first service, arrgh. I got really bored running her in.
"...is this the right bike for me?..."
All reservations evaporated as I wound her up past 12K on a slip entry to a dual. It was like everyone else was going backwards, front wheel skipping along, in total control.
No wonder I kept getting duffed up at Brands by S1KRRs on my old RC8R.
A pure litre sportsbike is like nothing else.
One thing. When I got cross or stressed at work, taking the RC8R by the scruff of its neck for a good thrashing was real therapy.
Get caught doing that on public roads on an S1KRR and it's prison time.

Misspelt by my iPhone

I know exactly what you mean Huge, I actually was a bit underwhelmed from the initial test ride as had loads of traffic and the bike felt very held back.
However, DTC in Slick, above 10 K ... hoooooly sh1t! Have never got "used" to it, blows me away every time!

Am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience from the off, but am very glad to hear you're enjoying your RR immensely now :).

Re RC8R, still one stunning looking bike ... way ahead of its time.
I sincerely hope KTM make a RC16 for the road, with a V4, for some extra competition with Aprillia and Ducati (next year?).

That being said, BMW, the product, the brand and all the "premium experience" that goes with the ownership experience ... well I think I'll be a BMW advert for a looooong time lol!
It's mostly cos of the awesome bike though haha!

Latest posts

Back