Headlight bulb blown. No lamp warning

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GixxerChuck

Forum Vendor
Reaction score
Ok confused.com. Main beam stopped working. Bulb is black so blown but no error message on dash. Not happy bulb has blown already or that dash did not let me know of it.
Its the on all the time not high beam (flash)
not got a spare so going to switch them over to see if other blows as well.

Last edited:
Just turned mine off as i had the opposite problem, it was showing bulb out even though the hids were working fine

Mines a 14 plate so the same as yours ?

Just checked and the bulb warning is set to on.
The manual will warn you for all bulbs EXCEPT the headlights. Anyone explain how they think this is OK?

Not sure if it was the led side lights or hids that triggered the bulb failure light

Fitting a HID to mine did not trigger a CANBUS warning. So I'd go with the fact it's anything but the main H7 bulbs.

Side lights and number plate bring fault light up ! Main & high beam don't effect it
indicators & rear light are LEDs already so don't effect it either.
Hard to explain without photos ( don't know how to load them ) but LEDs bulbs that look like a printed circuit board are ok
the other type that look like a normal bulb but with a plastic plug in bit are no good.
BTW I fitted 100/55v H7 which give 5000k ( white light ) are nearly as bright as the HIDs I had on my blade and still produce the correct beam for the Headlight MOT test, which when fitted with HIDs the bike will not pass its MOT.
that said most people who do MOTs are bikers and as such will most probably let the fact that they don't produce the correct pattern go, as a brighter light is saver

Just keep an eye on the lens with the 100w bulb. Can generate enough heat to melt it. HID MOT fail never happened to me.

the "100w" are not 100w they are 55-60w but give the equivalent light output of a 100w standard light. The difference is in the gases and materials used inside the bulb.
However, yes it's always worth being carful...unlike me and my spare HID bulb I melted to plastic whilst testing it off the bike!

Side lights and number plate bring fault light up ! Main & high beam don't effect it
indicators & rear light are LEDs already so don't effect it either.
Hard to explain without photos ( don't know how to load them ) but LEDs bulbs that look like a printed circuit board are ok
the other type that look like a normal bulb but with a plastic plug in bit are no good.
indicators bring up a warning (well they do when they are snapped off!)
these would be ok for sidelight then
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-BLUE-...LIGHT-BULBS-/161334376889?hash=item25904739b9

Now fitted
Law on blue lights is
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989
Restrictions on fitting blue warning beacons, special warning lamps and similar devices
16. No vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with-
(a)a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp, or
(b)a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not.
Definitions
"Special warning lamp" A lamp, fitted to the front or rear of a vehicle, capable of emitting a blue flashing light and not any other kind of light.
"Warning beacon" A lamp that is capable of emitting a flashing or rotating beam of light throughout 360? in the horizontal plane.

The bulb is right next to the sidelight (very close) when I removed the sidelight on the HID side noticed the bulb was slightly black on the side of it. The new LED on the HID side wasn't working when I got home today. Guessing the heat cooked it. Can't complain too much as was only ?3 for 6 of them and the HID is silly close to the side light

Just a word of warning re the lcd side lights mentioned above. I got some white ones. When fitted looked good and bright. Ran the bike for a few minutes with the dipped beam on and found the lcd had disintegrated and was laid in bits in the bottom of the head light unit. Anyone know how easy it is the get the head light unit out!!??

Just a word of warning re the lcd side lights mentioned above. I got some white ones. When fitted looked good and bright. Ran the bike for a few minutes with the dipped beam on and found the lcd had disintegrated and was laid in bits in the bottom of the head light unit. Anyone know how easy it is the get the head light unit out!!??
Other word of warning, ignore the manual on how to change. It says press the retaining clip with a screwdriver if needed, er no touching the inflexible plastic with a screwdriver breaks it and puts it to the front of the headlight cover! Thankfully I have one of the springy pressy grabby thingies and could recover. Just grab the bulb backing with long nosed pliers and pull gently. Replaced the LED with the standard bulb, will see how it goes with HID next to it.

Latest posts

Back