Gearbox whine at 75mph in 6th gear?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvirta

Reaction score
Hi guys, do you get a noticeable whine from gearbox in 6th gear doing 70-75ish mph?
I know that the straight cut gears can make noise but just to check if it's normal.

Hi guys, do you get a noticeable whine from gearbox in 6th gear doing 70-75ish mph?
I know that the straight cut gears can make noise but just to check if it's normal.

I?ve definitely not heard mine doing that.

If you can hear a whine and know its from the gearbox at 75mph it must be bloody loud! I can't hear anything from the bike at that speed.

I can definitely hear it as it disappears when changing to 5th gear and the bike doesn't make the noise on any other gear at that rpm range. What else could it be than the gearbox?
Another thing to ask from the dealer :D

Not noticed that, but whilst on a ride yesterday and having a bit of a play, redline in 4th gear, up shifted to 5th gear with the quick shifter and it jolted me forward upon change to 5th such is the power. It was a bit scary at that speed and not as smooth as quick shift changes from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.... Is this normal?

Not noticed that, but whilst on a ride yesterday and having a bit of a play, redline in 4th gear, up shifted to 5th gear with the quick shifter and it jolted me forward upon change to 5th such is the power. It was a bit scary at that speed and not as smooth as quick shift changes from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.... Is this normal?

I've had couple of violent quick shifts but I have but those on my own account of being stupid with changing gears :D I cannot remember why but that was what I thought at the moment

I've had couple of violent quick shifts but I have but those on my own account of being stupid with changing gears :D I cannot remember why but that was what I thought at the moment

Ha, perhaps it was me then, and violent is the right word, I was like "f'ing hell" in my helmet followed by a little giggle!

I can definitely hear it as it disappears when changing to 5th gear and the bike doesn't make the noise on any other gear at that rpm range. What else could it be than the gearbox?
Another thing to ask from the dealer :D
How many miles on the bike and is the oil topped up? The only thing that may explain it (other than a very expensive problem) would be a knackered or dry chain and sprocks that are grumbling with the resonance of riding along in 6th at 75 mph. If the revs are low, there is a lot of vibration around 4K that can blur the mirrors as the engine is balanced for much higher rpm. If you?re in the vibey zone, that may manifest itself as chain/sprocket whine? Oil the chain and see if it improves!

How many miles on the bike and is the oil topped up? The only thing that may explain it (other than a very expensive problem) would be a knackered or dry chain and sprocks that are grumbling with the resonance of riding along in 6th at 75 mph. If the revs are low, there is a lot of vibration around 4K that can blur the mirrors as the engine is balanced for much higher rpm. If you?re in the vibey zone, that may manifest itself as chain/sprocket whine? Oil the chain and see if it improves!

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have done around 2500 miles on the bike and the whine has been there from day one. Oil is halfway on the "window" so there is enough oil.
I do regularly clean and oil the chain and it's not dependent on how long it has been from the last oiling of the chain either.
I would drive on the fifth gear but the bike vibrates more in 5th gear doing 75mph than it does in 6th gear. At least I got 5 year warranty on the bike if something serious is wrong :D

And actually today I tested at around 60mph in 6th gear where the whining noise is not yet there normally to accelerate and the whining noise appeared on the revs where it usually doesn't. Now I'm thinking whether it could be the engine at low rpm on higher speed where there are more air resistance having to do more work (higher load) that somehow causes the whining noise :D
I'll try to record the whining noise tomorrow and post it to youtube.

Back