Gear indicator dissapears

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreudianSlip

Reaction score
Today I did my first semi long distance run on the bike. I've had and continue to have shift assist issues with the usual 2nd to 3rd hesitation now moved to 4th to 5th, but today I experienced something I'd never seen before.

In 5th, going for 6th, I didn't feel it change, so looked down to see what gear i was in, and there was nothing in the gear indicator part of the lcd. I hit the shifter up, nothing.. down.. nothing.. up and down again and 5 appeared but it seemed hesitant to go into 6th. When I came to some lights, from 4th I tried snicking the gears down but it wouldn't go past 3rd. I had to use the clutch (how last year is that!) to get it into 1st. I'm concerned that BMW can't find any fault with the shifter and as the bike is 2 years old soon, I want to make sure any niggles like this are resolved before I have to pay for the fix.

Any ideas on what it might be so I can point the nice BMW engineers in the right direction?

Spoke to Pidcock BMW (very helpful people so far - can't fault them) and they're going to pick the bike up on Monday for a diagnostic. I'll report back any news.

The interesting thing was they mentioned that they'd had an RR in the other day for the lean angle display going missing - to which a software patch fixed it - reminds me of the other thread on that very subject.

The bike came back after 9 days (mostly waiting for the coded ignition switch to arrive from ze farzerland), several mechanics test-rides (reporting no issues*), and the ignition switch replaced (it failed and the bike wouldn't turn off). To top it all, my warranty expired mid-way though unbeknown to me (the reminders had been sent to the previous owner) but BMW honoured the warranty - thankfully..

Anyway - some of the details .. The bike was at BMW in Nottingham and I had a call telling me the ignition switch was being done that very afternoon and the bike would be ready for me or they'd drop it off the following day. No fault had been found with the quickshifter, so I bowed my head and let the blame for the crappy gear changes wash over me. They'd updated all the software to the latest versions just as a matter of course.

*Later on the same day, I had another call from the same BMW guy to tell me that when the mechanic had taken the bike out for a road-test after replacing/rebuilding the ignition switch the quickshifter had made the same hesitations as it always did with me! HUZZZAH!

According to the guys, one of the 2 very fine microswitches had a slight crease in it, so after gently un-creasing it, and another road test, all was fine. I have to say that when I rode it home (I couldn't wait for the van to drop it off for me) the changes were slick, both up and down, hardly needing to use any effort at all to change gear. It wasn't perfect though, I did have 1 false neutral as I came to a T junction, and i was moving from 2nd to 1st. I'll put that down to me for the time being.

I'll hopefully get some more time out on the bike this weekend after fitting the comfort seat and tail pack, but as I've now extended the warranty, I'm not too worried if it does happen again - at least the BMW van driver knows where I live now :)

Latest posts

Back