Funny Smell

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMORTAL_Indian

Reaction score
So, on my '16 that I had the 6k service done a few weeks back, I have just got upto 7k miles and noticed a smell once the engine warms up.... its smells like what a dry car radiator smells like...

I have check the oils and the coolant.... any other ideas or should I take it back to BMW Park Lane who have done my services to date and ask them to have a nose ??

Or anyone around in the City or North Surrey area wanting to have a sniff?

I would check the overflow tank for the coolant when hot.
Chances are some has leaked out of there. Could be the early sign of a cap failure - they do that. side panel off job for actual access.

I replaced my rad cap (which is on the expansion tank) cause I lost some coolant. (2012 12000miles)

Hi imortal have you washed the rad recently? sometimes after a wash mine and degrease it there can be a smell once it's up to temp, if not it could be all the road crap that gets flung up onto it during the winter burning off?

I dont know what a dry car radiator smells like? :)

Has it happened just once ot twice or have you been running the bike every day with the same smell?

Have you visually checked the rad and oil cooler to see if anything has got stuck in them? Or something between the bellypan and the engine / exhause pipes that could be the culprit. Or the front air inlet? I once found a small bird in an air intake that had been starting to whiff a bit ;).

I dont know what a dry car radiator smells like? :) - I Ran an old car into the ground.... the rad popped so recall the smell....

Has it happened just once ot twice or have you been running the bike every day with the same smell? - I noticed it on Friday and again today on my way into work

Have you visually checked the rad and oil cooler to see if anything has got stuck in them? Or something between the bellypan and the engine / exhause pipes that could be the culprit. Or the front air inlet? I once found a small bird in an air intake that had been starting to whiff a bit ;).
- I will have a check of the oil and coolant itself as well as the front air inlet tonight.... wifey would not be too chuffed if I pulled a bird ;-)

I dont know what a dry car radiator smells like? :)

Has it happened just once ot twice or have you been running the bike every day with the same smell?

I have not but did clean it today.....will check the other areas tonight!! Thanks,

Last edited:
Have you been riding on gritted roads ? The molasses they use in the road grit will cause that sort of smell.

Checked the coolant..... not that..... definitely coming from the bike .... any other pointers please?

4739ccd74c8768a54ebc341d350767d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I get a funny smell this time of year but its the heated grips

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think I would have the bellypan off to see if there is anything stuck to any parts that get hot, engine, sump, exhaust etc. Run the bike up to temp and look for vapour coming off anywhere. If nothing apparent then air funnel and filter checked the same way.

Along with Gaffa's thoughts a build up of crap in the bellypan off the winter grit could be getting cooked by your exhaust or sump.

Did you recently get a treatment of ACF-50?

JimmyMac

I think I would have the bellypan off to see if there is anything stuck to any parts that get hot, engine, sump, exhaust etc. Run the bike up to temp and look for vapour coming off anywhere. If nothing apparent then air funnel and filter checked the same way.

Along with Gaffa's thoughts a build up of crap in the bellypan off the winter grit could be getting cooked by your exhaust or sump.

Did you recently get a treatment of ACF-50?

JimmyMac

it doesn't even need to be a build up in the belly pan, just the fine particles on the exhaust down pipes and radiator burning off will cause that smell, I have investigated it several times both on my bike and for mates.

I remember applying ACF-50 to my GSA a couple of winters back, sprayed about half a tin on the front of the engine. Parked it up for a week or so and pulled it out the garage to go for a spin. The smoke was belching off it whilst I warmed the bike up on the drive and I had forgotten about the ACF. I thought it was going to go on fire and it was stinking. Never corroded though, lol.

JimmyMac

Never got round to the ACF-50.... too busy riding it :). However do clean it every Friday on the way home to clean off the salt and crap and then lube once back in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back