Full akra system

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had systems on all of my S1000RR over many years never affected warranty at all. My Gen 3 has System and PC5 and lots of parts and that never even had an issue when it came to warranty.

And just recently my current 2022 bike has been in for few warranty items and my bike has quite a few bits on it.

All I ever get is comments about how nice it is and sold me a service plan on my last visit a few weeks back.

I think a lot of it is relationship with dealer same as in car world.

Warranty is only what the dealer inform the brand.

Good for you. This year, the dealer told me that in the event of a large warranty claim, BMW will ask for pictures of both sides the bike. If your engine went pop, would you leave a full system on your bike for the pictures. And do you think the dealer would mislead BMW on your behalf?

Good for you. This year, the dealer told me that in the event of a large warranty claim, BMW will ask for pictures of both sides the bike. If your engine went pop, would you leave a full system on your bike for the pictures. And do you think the dealer would mislead BMW on your behalf?

Who told you they require pictures?

Think you might be being told things that are not true Paul.

BMW haven't refused any warranty work that I've heard of when QUALITY parts have been used. They work with Akrapovic, it would be a pretty big call for BMW to say that Akra parts caused a failure and therefore the claim was not going to be honoured. I think they only care when it's a heathrobinson lash up. Use quality parts and BMW apply common sense, especially if the dealer is pushing for it.

Sycamore Motorrad, where I bought my new bike from, told me about the pictures.

Do BMW supply new road bikes fitted with Akrapovic exhausts, that don't have catalytic converters fitted Alex?

I don't think they do. I'm sure I read in hear somewhere that bikes bought for the track come stock with all the bits that you don't specifically want for track use. They then swap them out with 'go fast' stuff. Parts sometimes end up on this forum for sale. Picked up a brand new seat for my bike a while back. I have two bikes fitted with full Akra systems from the mothership and both have included a cat.

No of course no decatted systems. But if they pay akra to make them catted systems there is an implied trust in their work.

Do what makes you comfortable. I will fit a system in due course... Its in a box waiting to go on.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

As long as people aren't riding past my house, revving the tits off their noisy bikes, I couldn't care less what exhausts they fit. In the past I've had full Akra systems on my bikes, but I knew using exhausts with 'not for road use' stamped on them, wasn't exactly legal.

As long as people aren't riding past my house, revving the tits off their noisy bikes, I couldn't care less what exhausts they fit. In the past I've had full Akra systems on my bikes, but I knew using exhausts with 'not for road use' stamped on them, wasn't exactly legal.

I have a different take on this. Any bike with a loud exhaust is anti social. We all then get tarred with the same brush once a loud bike is in the area. Plus something odd happens when someone fits a loud exhaust, they have to blip the throttle everywhere they go. Attention seeking noise whores!! I'll put the tree hugger in me back in the box.

I have a different take on this. Any bike with a loud exhaust is anti social. We all then get tarred with the same brush once a loud bike is in the area. Plus something odd happens when someone fits a loud exhaust, they have to blip the throttle everywhere they go. Attention seeking noise whores!! I'll put the tree hugger in me back in the box.

I didn't post that, because all the noisy exhaust chavs would have started crying.

I don't think they do. I'm sure I read in hear somewhere that bikes bought for the track come stock with all the bits that you don't specifically want for track use. They then swap them out with 'go fast' stuff. Parts sometimes end up on this forum for sale. Picked up a brand new seat for my bike a while back. I have two bikes fitted with full Akra systems from the mothership and both have included a cat.
Is this something I need to be worried about then.The bike I'm buying at the weekend has had the full system including headers fitted from new at the dealers and the cat removed this is what he's telling me.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

As the guys have said, absolutely no issues with passing the MoT.

What hasn?t been mentioned though, is insurance. Decat exhausts are not road legal. This presents a problem at the time of taking out a policy, as you need to declare modifications and they?ll want to know whether the exhaust is road legal, and they?ll never insure a bike that isn?t road legal. If the exhaust isn?t declared, then should a major claim ever be required (as in legal fees etc), then a loss adjuster could easily invalidate the policy as the bike isn?t road legal.

I know lots of people run full systems (I have in the past), but the legality and insurance aspect is certainly something to think about before diving in.

For perspective, I know a KTM dealer that will literally have a customer sign a disclaimer stating that they understand fitting an official Akrapovic decat full system is not road legal and that the dealer are doing so under instruction of the owner, and that the vehicle is to be used off road only.
BMW sell a decat full system for the Gen 3?s, as part of the HP Power Kit, but that used to come with a disclaimer too stating the the bike is declaimed a track vehicle from then on.

I found the following article quite informative, and also deeply frustrating as I would love to have a full system again! [emoji30]

https://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/motorcycle-exhaust-laws/

Last edited:

What hasn?t been mentioned though, is insurance. Decat exhausts are not road legal. This presents a problem at the time of taking out a policy, as you need to declare modifications and they?ll want to know whether the exhaust is road legal, and they?ll never insure a bike that isn?t road legal. If the exhaust isn?t declared, then should a major claim ever be required (as in legal fees etc), then a loss adjuster could easily invalidate the policy as the bike isn?t road legal.

I know lots of people run full systems (I have in the past), but the legality and insurance aspect is certainly something to think about before diving in.

For perspective, I know a KTM dealer that will literally have a customer sign a disclaimer stating that they understand fitting an official Akrapovic decat full system is not road legal and that the dealer are doing so under instruction of the owner, and that the vehicle is to be used off road only.
BMW sell a decat full system for the Gen 3?s, as part of the HP Power Kit, but that used to come with a disclaimer too stating the the bike is declaimed a track vehicle from then on.

I found the following article quite informative, and also deeply frustrating as I would love to have a full system again! [emoji30]

Thanks oli I guess it's either put the cat back on or take the risk of never having to make a claim.Do you know if the cat would fit onto the akra headers or are they a different bore.

My understanding is, that if an insurance policy is invalidated, the insurer will still pay third party claims, in other words claims against you. What the insurer can then do is to seek to recover their costs from you. If those costs are substantial, you could lose your house.

Done my first mot last month with full system on. And only got an advisory for noise. And mine is very loud so was expecting it
Sam can I ask if you declared it to the insurance company which one did you go with?

b271f9620d5c24e153d8e80c6c1786ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back