Four Runs Out,,Four New Faults

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was bought from Williams of manchester...is that who you spoke to? Is their demo restricted??.....hang on for the new R1 then bud and that way your giving yourself more options

Yes Manchester Williams is my local, a friend went there a week before i went and he told me their demo bike was restricted. But your right, im going to hand on till later in the year and see what Yamaha do before making my mind up unless a real good deal comes along....

Cheers Rob.....

To be fair, iv found the S1000 build quality to be just as good as any Jap bike, even better than some. Iv had a few problems with mine, but my dealer has bent over backwards to make sure everything is hunky dory.

The S1000 IS the best 1000cc sport bike you can buy. I'll certainly be buying another one when the time comes, with or without faults

Well if you're ever over staffs way av a blast on my 2011 S1k.... got piss wet thru goin to williams on tuesday!!! And hit by a woman pulling out on me!! Luckily no damage!!....hopefully Yam and rest of japs will catch up!!

Friend of mine took his 2010 gsxr 1000 race bike to be dyno'd a few weeks ago and it was 150bhp at the wheel. Disappointed with that he's had the valve clearances set a new air filter, full exhaust and a bazzaz fitted with a custom map and was proud to tell me it's now 161atw......... until I pointed out that my S1000RR was 187 on the same dyno :p

The BMW is the way forward.

I cant have any complaints about how Williams/BMW have treated me Hopper,my concern is after warranty runs out....and my S1k has had more faults than any other bike ive owned in almost 30yrs of riding on the road....hopefully mine will be trouble free ownership from now on :)

Ok, i'm old school and realise that having a highly tuned bike whether its factory or back street tuner is gonna be less reliable than a de-tuned beetle lol. Having said that, there's no excuse for sub standard switches etc... My 2010 (april, ar system, pcv, 190 abw, 13000mls, has had no mechanical issues (yet) and even having read about the shit would still have another if it made me ride better lol.

Id fully be prepared to accept issues with new technology,,software etc but BMW are letting themselves down with the basics!...engine internals not torqued up right,wrong spacers fitted,side stands failing,sumps rotting,and parts going rusty after very little use....and thats down to poor quality management of the production standards and bean counters sourcing cheap cheap suppliers and materials....and i do have some knowledge of what im talking about,28yrs in engineering and a former Bentley Motors employee...as ive said its s shame because its potentially a bike of legendary status!!...i truly hope i can now start to fall in love with my S1k

Haha!!!! No i havent Hopper!!...Japs and a Norton Commando 750 Interstate....are ducati having issues with the pannini!!?? ;-)

All bikes have issues....
Oil burning blades ( not all of them)
Apparently you can buy a good or a shit R1.
the new Gixer is proper Wank looking in every respect ( albeit reliable)
Panini's have lots of issues
Aprilias leak oil
Beemers have wank wheels , switches , sumps , only the 2012 had the torque and stand issue.
Its easier for the manufacturer to fix the odd bike than to recall the lot...
shit happens in manufacturing , it isnt right , but it's how it is....
Triumphs are also proper shite IMHO

All bikes have issues....
Oil burning blades ( not all of them)
Apparently you can buy a good or a shit R1.
the new Gixer is proper Wank looking in every respect ( albeit reliable)
Panini's have lots of issues
Aprilias leak oil
Beemers have wank wheels , switches , sumps , only the 2012 had the torque and stand issue.
Its easier for the manufacturer to fix the odd bike than to recall the lot...
shit happens in manufacturing , it isnt right , but it's how it is....
Triumphs are also proper shite IMHO

the thing is tho, they've had 4 years to fix and make changes to the bike, what did they do instead? put holes in the brake lever...

I`ve owned four R1s, 99,04, 09 & 11 plate, I loved all of them and didn't have any issues until the 11 plate after 3000 had to go in for a new clutch, something to do with the clutch not getting enough oil so I was told! this seems to be a common problem with the x plane crank model apparently, there were loads of reports about it on the R1 owners web site.

Put 2k miles on my 2012 so far with 2 track days and havnt had a problem yet, the side stand was done before I took delivery, the only thing I could moan about is the chain goes rusty if you dont keep on top of it apart from that I love it

I`ve owned four R1s, 99,04, 09 & 11 plate, I loved all of them and didn't have any issues until the 11 plate after 3000 had to go in for a new clutch, something to do with the clutch not getting enough oil so I was told! this seems to be a common problem with the x plane crank model apparently, there were loads of reports about it on the R1 owners web site.

That is correct it has been a common fault with the newer R1's, my only issue is that i paid £10.500 for my R1 got them down from £12.500, BMW won't budge from£13.700 so i'd like to think that spending that extra 3 grand plus will guarantee no issues.....

Buy a pre reg one fella I bought mine in January but it was pre refer in December and paid 12k

I agree with the above re looking for a pre reg one , I know your in Manchester but give Allan Jeffries (Baildon) near Bradford a call, I believe there the UK biggest BMW motorcycle dealers, I bought my HP4 from them and there a good bunch.

As fat bob said, all bike have there problems. That's what a warranty is for !!!

There were more changes then just a hole in the brake lever lol. Heavier crank was fitted to late 2011 (could be late 2010 bike, cant remember) to help with power delivery and engine vibrations. Wong with a few other little tweaks.

Iv owned a few Ducatis over the years, you want a bike that causes you agro, buy a Duke. Good luck with Ducati customer service too. Absolutely useless.

The BM's really aren't that bad. You'll be making a good choice coming from a late model R1. The S1000RR is light years ahead.

Latest posts

Back