Four Runs Out,,Four New Faults

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gixer Rob

Reaction score
had four runs out so far this year,,,new fault every time!!!
sticking rev counter
squeaky front wheel
poor starting from hot
starter button falling apart....
back to dealers tomorrow for rev counter and switch gear and to report the two new ones since it was booked in!!

The front noise are you sure it's not due
to lack of grease on the front spindle as I did
hear there was lack of it from factory fitting

yeh could be,,cheers...not really investigated it as its going back in tomorrow...
its a shame because i love the power,handling and brakes but im fast loosing patience with the poor quality parts and build.

Lack of grease on the front spindle only makes it difficult to remove the spindle from the bearings to get the wheel out. That won't make a squeek

I had the rear bearing dust seal melt to the rear l/h wheel spacer after they replaced my spocket carrier etc BUT didn't bother using any grease on the rear assembly - this produced a pretty decent squeak from the rear wheel.

Went out to Bury Hill Sunday. Stopped at my local for a pint, bike wouldn't start when I came out....nothing at all....ended up calling the rescue service......got home, and the sidestand failed, over it went....cracked fairing. In 20 years of ZZR11 ownership she has never let me down once......not impressed Mr BMW! The customer service better be all over this as the switchgear is a known and common fault on these....very disappointed!

Everyone slags off Suzuki and there build quality but i owned 2 GSXR's and it was nothing like the S1K.

So....had both switchgear replaced on tuesday,, sticking rev counter had thrown up fault code,loose battery connection,,all seems good now,hopefully loose battery was poor starting issue aswell!...gona rebook it in for other niggles after iv put few more miles on it

This is a real shame to hear mate, i know all bikes/manufacturers have their issues but the more i read real experiences the more im asking myself is it really worth taking a big loss on my current bike that runs just fine only to invest into an s1rr that i could seriously regret later. Seems that some have their bikes in the shop for repairs and fixes more than enjoying on the road.....

I do hope they resolve all your problems, good luck.....

What have you got now Matt??..i came from a GSXR K8 1000 (my 4th gixer) i av to say i wish id gone for the 2012 gixer instead of the S1k and i have tested the water on trade in values. It is a shame about the quality of components and poor build standards of the beemer because on paper it shud b a great bike

What have you got now Matt??..i came from a GSXR K8 1000 (my 4th gixer) i av to say i wish id gone for the 2012 gixer instead of the S1k and i have tested the water on trade in values. It is a shame about the quality of components and poor build standards of the beemer because on paper it shud b a great bike

Here is the thread to the pictures of my current bike Rob http://s1000rrforum.co.uk/showthread.php?2526-My-current-R1&p=24463#post24463 Its a new R1 with only 2000miles on the clock and ive had absolutely no issues with it. Ive just got it in my head that i want a new s1k because as you say on paper they should be just out of this world. The problem is i keep hearing bad things about build quality and it scares me a little especially knowing that i will lose so much on my bike, to date BMW have offered me just 8K for mine and they say they won't budge....

Ive tried not to let it tarnish my feelings about the bike Andy but 4 runs out n new fault each time has spoilt my enjoyment,im now just waiting for next problem :-(.....shame kus when its running ok the power delivery,brakes and handling are like nothing else!!!!...its kind of on its last chance now...any more grief and il just av to take the £1500 hit on a trade in!!! Glad to hear yours has been a good ownership tho!

R1's proper nice mate!!! Av u tried the S1k??? It WILL blow u away!! And show how far the japs are behind!!! Mine hasnt been a good experience so far and there is a lot of threads on here about issues but like a mate told me.... people never start threads about 'not' having any issues!!haha!! Where you from?

R1's proper nice mate!!! Av u tried the S1k??? It WILL blow u away!! And show how far the japs are behind!!! Mine hasnt been a good experience so far and there is a lot of threads on here about issues but like a mate told me.... people never start threads about 'not' having any issues!!haha!! Where you from?

Im from Manchester and no i haven't tried the s1k yet, they have one at my local BMW dealer but its restricted so i thought whats the point...

I understand there will be issues with some bikes from time to time but i just keep hearing that build quality one with the BM's. Not saying this will put me off for sure its just making me very cautious. The new R1 is out soon so i might even wait to see what they do there as their talking about 200bh and all sorts of gadgets ect....

Mine was bought from Williams of manchester...is that who you spoke to? Is their demo restricted??.....hang on for the new R1 then bud and that way your giving yourself more options

Latest posts

Back