For a friend

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pof

Reaction score
Can any of you guys with active suspension help my friend out. Hes just done snett today and i looked at his rear tyre. In my unqualified opinion the rebound is too slow and the tyre is "skipping" hence the rubber being pushed to the back of the cut. On "normal" suspension i would just tell him to speed it up by a few clicks but i know nothing on how to do that on a 15 + machine. Thanks in advance
420f93d7de7f03dfe19d2c2806dbdf4e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

In my wholly "un"qualified opinion I thought the same as you pof, though what Jay says about tyre pressure is also a likely culprit and definitely worth checking.

Re DDC adjustments, first thing to check is what mode the bike is in?
For track use either Race or Slick are most appropriate (or Race or Slick DDC settings within User Mode), the DDC can be adjusted further for rebound/compression by going into Settings > Setup menu > Setup DDC. Within this submenu the DDC can also be "calibrated", though this is only required when changing preload.

Final thing to bear in mind with regard to the tyre wear is what DTC mode he was using?
In my experience and what has been reported in some articles etc is that Race mode causes more tearing and increased wear than Slick mode

Oli

Ok jay cheers for feedback. He is a novice (2n
d track day i think). He rode up there from winchester 😱 so maybe he hasnt adjust psi correctly from road riding

I was with him and said to photo it and look up some 'proper' advice...didn't envisage him asking you Pof! Haha!

I couldn't remember if front lip was rebound or rear lip.

I think he set the tyres 30/30 but I could be wrong.

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
I was with him and said to photo it and look up some 'proper' advice...didn't envisage him asking you Pof! Haha!

I couldn't remember if front lip was rebound or rear lip.

I think he set the tyres 30/30 but I could be wrong.

- Sent from Mobile
Like a knife in my heart mate 😂😂😂. He didnt ask but put photos up on fb. He has always had a rear tyre issue (ive seen his tyres after last td and when road riding).

His last tyre from td
37db0cdf734db5d6e24dfb8a416caae6.jpg

He needs to spend 40 quid and get it set up properly im guessing

Tyre Wear

That looks like incorrect tyre pressures and inconsistent throttle application. I would definitely recommend that your friend gets his suspension setup correctly and asks for tyre pressure advice, and maybe a bit of instruction, at his next trackday.

Re: Tyre Wear

That looks like incorrect tyre pressures and inconsistent throttle application. I would definitely recommend that your friend gets his suspension setup correctly and asks for tyre pressure advice, and maybe a bit of instruction, at his next trackday.
Ive not been on track with him so dont know his pace. Very hard to judge from road riding

Tuition

As you know road and track are at completely opposite ends of the riding spectrum but looking at the images of the rear tyres he would perhaps benefit from some helpful tuition.

Re: Tuition

As you know road and track are at completely opposite ends of the riding spectrum but looking at the images of the rear tyres he would perhaps benefit from some helpful tuition.
A very "politically correct" statement 😂😂😂

Thats a good shout jay.
Underslung rear caliper and carbon frame covers should be top of the list 😂😂😂

Tuition

Both on road and off was that RyS1000RR [emoji23]

Just track. I can't comment on road riding!

Both Road and track as RyS1000RR just said are poles apart, the similarity they both share is u will ride better on both with a bike dialled into U.

+1. The amount of people that never bother to set up their suspension correctly is just staggering.

I commute everyday and i do struggle switching when i go on track. I think its why i l8ke euros as i get 3/4 days in a row (if i dont crash first 😂) to get my eye in

Track

I'm incredibly fortunate enough to spend an awful lot of time riding and instructing on track. I have very little interest in riding on the road as I personally don't get that much enjoyment from it. Ultimately, if you enjoy being on two wheels it doesn't matter whether you prefer riding on the road, track or a mixture of both. It's whatever makes you happy.

Question to all those who went out on track today on ur road bike ...how many people adjusted their steering damper before going out on track today ?
Comes under setting suspension for track so another question ... what did u set it to ?

Answer should be...5 clicks and below for track ... 8 clicks for road ( bmw oem)

Jay

With steering dampers the less is best rule applies in my opinion to both road and track, a steering damper can easily be used to mask a problem with chassis set up.

The more support a steering damper provides, the slower the steering will be.

On the road I have virtually no support from the OEM damper, it's like two clicks out from minimum.

Oli

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back