Fitting carbon frame covers.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't realise they were Ilmberger. I'm surprised they were not spot on. Any way they are on and look mint!

- Sent from Mobile

Swingarm covers now bonded on,bit of cutting to make these fit too,but job done,eventually.

Thankyou to you and Alex for the help and advice regarding fitting them.

I left the 3M double sided tape on the m and I pleed off the backing tape,but I also used the silicone sealant too.

Hi guys, my new covers have arrived , I can't see what type of silicon people have used to fit these. some say high temp, some say regular bathroom silicon . I don't want this to damage the paint if they are ever taken off. I found a plumber flue silicon from screwfix which can withstand heat, but not sure what it will do to paint. All help and experience removing would be greatly appreciated?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

all silicone withstand the amount of heat that they will get on the frame. if you want to remove sometime then i would go with normal bathroom stuff, not a silicone adhesive like sikaflex.

I'll second r25sti's comments. If you use something like Stikaflex you'll never get 'em off. Normal silicone should do the trick. After all, exhaust fitters use it to assemble exhaust systems on cars and they get much hotter than the BMW frame.
As a footnote I've always fitted front mudguard "fenda extedas" using bathroom clear silicone, instead of drilling and spoiling front mudguards. they've never fallen off, and when I did take one off, it was fixed solid, but did come off with a bit of persuasion.

Cheers guys, I'll take pics of the the job and post on here when it's done.

Cheers guys, I'll take pics of the the job and post on here when it's done.

Job done, she looks sweet!!!
254e7e2d1c23e4b9f0fd6e245f7a2005.jpg
c5d0e0503248d89eae99a12c73d8ad90.jpg

Carbon Fibre Frame Protectors

They look very nice fitted and from bitter experience they provide excellent protection for the frame in the event of a crash.

I used velcro. When you sell the bike you can remove easily and sell on or show the buyer theres no damage hidden by them.

I used velcro. When you sell the bike you can remove easily and sell on or show the buyer theres no damage hidden by them.

I used some 3M velcro stuff first time I fitted the covers but changed them to silicone instead because:

- found the covers sat slightly proud of the frame which would let moisture inbetween the frame and covers, not necessarily a problem but not ideal when the bike is laid up over winter (for me).
- was not convinced the 3m stuff (which is bloody strong) would withstand a full on slide and did think there was the chance the cover could get ripped away from the frame (although in that drastic a scenario I would probably just be happy to walk away and **** the bike).
- The silicone can easily be warmed up by using a hairdryer on the covers to make it plyable so as to remove them at a future date should the need arise.

I used silicone aswell. Covers have not budged at all

Carbon Fibre Frame Protectors

I've watched someone crash on track who had their frame protectors attached by 3M Velcro strips... they simply flew off the bike as soon as it hit the tarmac. You are best off using silicone as it can easily be removed by applying a bit of heat, but more importantly it works well keeping them held securely in place during a crash.

Latest posts

Back