Carbon frame cover and swing arm cover install

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macker

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I?ve got the ilmberger carbon frame and swing arm covers and I in two minds on how to fix them to the bike.
All the videos on YouTube show people fixing them with silicone adhesive but I don?t really want to potentially damage my bike when/if I ever want to remove the covers.
Ive heard of people using 3m double sided sticky pads.
Has anyone fitted these covers? Any advice would be great.

Whats the issue with Silicone?

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I don?t know if there is an issue with silicone. I just remember seeing a video on YouTube and the guy said make sure you use the correct silicone or you could potentially damage the paint if you ever remove the covers.
Ive found the instructions from ilmberger in the bag and they say to use adhesive pads.

Some/most silicone contains chemicals that will promote rust over time. You can get some without. If using silicone I'd be using one of these. Or sikaflex. depends what you are using it for. :pride: I'm only aware of this after we recently converted a van. hope this helps

I used to use sikaflex in the motor trade to fix panels etc. Sticks like sh!t. But will be a knightmare to get off the dried residue if you get the carbon off ok.

Dried silicone ain't easy to remove either. I'm talking about the thin film after you've removed the bulk of it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back