Electric Issue - Starter/cutout switch

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fkkr1s

Reaction score
I POSTED THIS BEFORE BUT I THINK IN THE WRONG PLACE ON THE FORUM. SO AS I HAVE SOME ANSWERS I AM POSTING AGAIN FOR INFO.

Ok guys, out on a ride yesterday and the bugger just died in full flow with 30 assorted, but mainly 675's up my chuff. Man that bike slows real quick with no power lol.

Anyway the reason why I am posting is this, I am hearing stories around, about a number of S1's suffering electrical faults recently.

is this something you guys are aware of?
If so does it seem to be the same thing?
I will be calling the garage tomorrow to come and pick her up, but it would be nice to have some previous insight if this is a, well is a more of a regular type occurrence.

All I can tell you mine had a strong reading rom the battery, it made all the right noises when I turned the key, all the right lights flashed and needles rotated. Except the main thing, not firing up when pushing the starter button.

Any light you can shine on this would be most welcome. Cheers

THE RESULTS.

I have scanned many forums and sites and it seem the electric starter issue i have had is not a one off. the garage i use have been great, collected the bike quick, found the fault and called me the next day. even though the bike is out of warranty is will be done free of charge.

only trouble is the part is in Germany and they have had to order it in. Just making you aware. My bike is a 11 plate.

Mine does exactly the same thing!! Its only intermittent but it happens often enough to spook me. However it doesnt do it when im riding, just occasionally when I'm about to start it up for first time - sometimes i have to use all 3 of the keys inc the plastic one before one of them will work and start the bike - it eventually fires up but can sometimes take up to 20 mins of constant on/off, turning the key, rotating the different keys etc. When it first did it i had it taken straight to BMW but surprise surprise they said there was nothing wrong. So id be interested to know exactly what part caused your issue so i can tell them and get that specific thing looked into.

Phil, just to confirm no she did not start, dead as a door nail... Faulty starter switch was confirmed, garage has a 12 plate in with the same issue. :(

Phil, just to confirm no she did not start, dead as a door nail... Faulty starter switch was confirmed, garage has a 12 plate in with the same issue. :(

mines just done same , does any one know if you can bypass it to fire it up

Nope , but if you push and push and push it will start , did it myself today with some mates
Bikes booked in for Wednesday for mine and its covered with the extended apparently

Nope , but if you push and push and push it will start , did it myself today with some mates
Bikes booked in for Wednesday for mine and its covered with the extended apparently

thats good to hear!

Pushing forever does not work, once it's dead it's dead, I always turn mine off with the key, but it's the starting that was the issue.
Fact: it is not a one off, others are having the issue, even though the garage did what they could, the parts set up, and getting Stuff in for jobs like this was rubbish.

I got my bike back in the end after well over a week with a new foc right hand switches cluster. Happy I had it in Tim for a trip to Wales for some fun hooning, but pi55ed off that they took so bloody long for a 10 sec job!!

Hi, Same problem with mine, died on me recently after fitting a new throttle cable and thought perhaps I hadn't put something back right, then remembered that the bike occasionally wouldn’t start but after a few goes it would come to life! So rather than check the work I did putting a new throttle cable on I first checked the RH Multifunction switch and found that if I fiddled with the starter/kill switch enough it would start and whilst the bike was running I hit the switch with a rubber hammer and bingo it would cut out and not start until fiddling with the switch again. I took the switch apart you will need a very small Torx set and inside there’s a electrical plug six or seven wires running to it which I fiddled with every which way whilst the bike was running and all was well, then there’s a very fine flexible electrical circuit board on a mat covered in what looks like silicone which the starter switch, kill switch and mode switch are on this is where the problem lies. I ordered the part from http://www.motorworks.co.uk The part is the whole RH Switch gear BMW don’t sell the internals separately you have to buy the whole RH Multifunction switch/or combination switch for around £130 inc vat. Problem fixed!!

This is a very common fault, breakdown on the shoddy switchgear they should fix it gratis as they know its crappy and also found out the starter is as cheap as chips & fails quickly along with the wheel bearings and the hydraulic cam chain tensioner will all fail before 30,000 miles! not proper build quality in my book!:sorrow:

I POSTED THIS BEFORE BUT I THINK IN THE WRONG PLACE ON THE FORUM. SO AS I HAVE SOME ANSWERS I AM POSTING AGAIN FOR INFO.

Ok guys, out on a ride yesterday and the bugger just died in full flow with 30 assorted, but mainly 675's up my chuff. Man that bike slows real quick with no power lol.

Anyway the reason why I am posting is this, I am hearing stories around, about a number of S1's suffering electrical faults recently.

is this something you guys are aware of?
If so does it seem to be the same thing?
I will be calling the garage tomorrow to come and pick her up, but it would be nice to have some previous insight if this is a, well is a more of a regular type occurrence.

All I can tell you mine had a strong reading rom the battery, it made all the right noises when I turned the key, all the right lights flashed and needles rotated. Except the main thing, not firing up when pushing the starter button.

Any light you can shine on this would be most welcome. Cheers

THE RESULTS.

I have scanned many forums and sites and it seem the electric starter issue i have had is not a one off. the garage i use have been great, collected the bike quick, found the fault and called me the next day. even though the bike is out of warranty is will be done free of charge.

only trouble is the part is in Germany and they have had to order it in. Just making you aware. My bike is a 11 plate.

Hi, Same problem with mine, died on me recently after fitting a new throttle cable and thought perhaps I hadn't put something back right, then remembered that the bike occasionally wouldn’t start but after a few goes it would come to life! So rather than check the work I did putting a new throttle cable on I first checked the RH Multifunction switch and found that if I fiddled with the starter/kill switch enough it would start and whilst the bike was running I hit the switch with a rubber hammer and bingo it would cut out and not start until fiddling with the switch again. I took the switch apart you will need a very small Torx set and inside there’s a electrical plug six or seven wires running to it which I fiddled with every which way whilst the bike was running and all was well, then there’s a very fine flexible electrical circuit board on a mat covered in what looks like silicone which the starter switch, kill switch and mode switch are on this is where the problem lies. I ordered the part from http://www.motorworks.co.uk The part is the whole RH Switch gear BMW don’t sell the internals separately you have to buy the whole RH Multifunction switch/or combination switch for around £130 inc vat. Problem fixed!!

Latest posts

Back