DTC Question

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LukeS1000RR17

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm sure this has been discussed and I apologise if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I have just had the first service done and rev limiter removed. F**king awesome!! Question.. the traction control light doesn't flash when wheelie intervention kicks in. I've pushed the bike in sport and race modes and felt the front lift then drop immediately with no light flashing. I also had the back step out slightly and the light flashed as the traction control intervened. On my single R the light would flash when anti wheelie kicked in. Is the DTC different somehow on my RR?

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also I know the dtc is doing its thing as the graph on the dash is registering a % of intervention. I'm yet to experiment with slick and user modes.

I've got a 16 and can't say I've noticed the light come on for anti wheelie,like yours just an indication on the graph.

I'm new to the RR and have asked the same question re when the DTC light comes on; no reply at the time.

I've concluded myself that the DTC light only flashes to indicate that a cut to power has occurred in response to rear wheel slip, as opposed to a cut for front wheel lift control. Most rides out I log intervention on the bar graph but do not trouble the amber DTC light.

The first (and only so far) time I noticed the DTC light flash, on the road, was when I asked for a little too much throttle mid corner (Sport mode). It was my first experience of TC intervention in my biking career...the cut wasn't noticeable but it did put a childish grin on my face.

The DTC light flashing seems to depend on how substantial the intervention is.

The DTC light can also flash when wheeleying in Slick mode for a duration of more than 4 or 5 seconds (there seems to be a cut off in Slick mode when the DTC will intervene)

The DTC light flashing seems to depend on how substantial the intervention is.

The DTC light can also flash when wheeleying in Slick mode for a duration of more than 4 or 5 seconds (there seems to be a cut off in Slick mode when the DTC will intervene)

Thanks for the replies. I have now installed the slick chip and restriction has been removed. I will experiment with my (limited) wheelie skills tomorrow.. weather permitting[emoji848]

Thanks for the replies. I have now installed the slick chip and restriction has been removed. I will experiment with my (limited) wheelie skills tomorrow.. weather permitting[emoji848]

Look forward to hearing your opinion on the "top end" now the limiter is off!

I personally use Slick mode DTC for all but cold weather road conditions as prefer the intervention characteristics.
One big word of warning though, there is no genuine wheelie control with Slick DTC or Slick mode, so you can't just pin the throttle like in all other modes.

Enjoy! :)

Look forward to hearing your opinion on the "top end" now the limiter is off!

I personally use Slick mode DTC for all but cold weather road conditions as prefer the intervention characteristics.
One big word of warning though, there is no genuine wheelie control with Slick DTC or Slick mode, so you can't just pin the throttle like in all other modes.

Enjoy! :)

First time in slick mode today. Managed a little wheelie and sure enough the dtc light started flashing. Love it!!!
0d8f1347bb5f0f6191e7e51eb4cea111.jpg

First time in slick mode today. Managed a little wheelie and sure enough the dtc light started flashing. Love it!!!
0d8f1347bb5f0f6191e7e51eb4cea111.jpg

Am very glad to hear you're enjoying the unlocked bike!

If I might make a suggestion though, I'd recommend playing around with the "User Mode" as this allows you to set up your personal preferences in regard to ABS, DTC, DDC and Engine (i.e. throttle) independently of each other.
For example, for road use, I run User Mode with the ABS in "Race", the DTC in "Slick", the DDC in "Sport" and the Engine in "Slick".

This combination allows for very minimal wheelie control, roll over protection and ABS at the rear, the most compliant suspension damping and the most direct throttle connection.

On top of this, in User and Slick modes you can adjust the DTC intervention from "-7 to +7" depending on tyres and conditions.

It is also possible to tune the rebound and compression bias in the DDC, however I'd suggest trying the standard set up first and see how you get on (people can give further advice on this depending on your feedback).

Personally, I would only consider using "Slick Mode" on track, although I would still just adjust the User Mode to suit.

Have fun experimenting with all the modes and settings, you'll be blown away with how different the bike feels depending on the setting you use :).

Am very glad to hear you're enjoying the unlocked bike!

If I might make a suggestion though, I'd recommend playing around with the "User Mode" as this allows you to set up your personal preferences in regard to ABS, DTC, DDC and Engine (i.e. throttle) independently of each other.
For example, for road use, I run User Mode with the ABS in "Race", the DTC in "Slick", the DDC in "Sport" and the Engine in "Slick".

This combination allows for very minimal wheelie control, roll over protection and ABS at the rear, the most compliant suspension damping and the most direct throttle connection.

On top of this, in User and Slick modes you can adjust the DTC intervention from "-7 to +7" depending on tyres and conditions.

It is also possible to tune the rebound and compression bias in the DDC, however I'd suggest trying the standard set up first and see how you get on (people can give further advice on this depending on your feedback).

Personally, I would only consider using "Slick Mode" on track, although I would still just adjust the User Mode to suit.

Have fun experimenting with all the modes and settings, you'll be blown away with how different the bike feels depending on the setting you use :).

Really useful post Oli. Thanks.
I've just got my rev limiter removed (the fuckwits forgot to do it on the first service, so had to go back after the longest weekend ever, aaaargh!).
Came from a big twin before, so still re-calibrating to the iL4 experience.

Misspelt by my iPhone

It's my pleasure Huge!

Yea I can imagine that being deeply frustrating, but am glad it's sorted now though.

They're chalk and cheese aren't they, but as you'll have no doubt noticed from 10 K onwards on the RR it's incredible

Back