Do you always wear protection

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read that poor girls story, that's really put me off ever going out without my leathers on again

Been riding bikes for 27 years & always had the best quality lid, boots, gloves & jacket but strangely not trousers, only ever wore jeans. Guess I just found other things to spend my hard earned cash on. Then got the s1 over a year ago, treated myself to a Dainese two-piece and since then will never go on a bike without the full kit.

It's America. I saw some stupid crap when I went back this summer. Problem is, we don't have the extensive testing you have here to ride a motorcycle. Take a 3 day safety course and you're able to get an endorsement as long as your 16 or older.

I wish I got the pic of this Dude riding his GSXR with the helmet strapped to the side of the bike, hat on backwards, earphones in, t-shirt, sipping from his McDonald's drink that he had on his clip on. He had some kind of holder and was just sipping from the straw.

Just read that poor girls story, that's really put me off ever going out without my leathers on again

I read a story on another forum earlier this year about a woman who was unfortunate enough to be riding along a freeway behind a lorry when it suddenly swerved out of the lane to avoid... a sofa. She hit the sofa at about 40mph and was launched down the road. Walked away because she had all the gear on. She was only doing a short ride that day, it was hot and sunny, and nearly didn't bother getting suited up.

After reading the post I went out and bought a lot more armour and never go anywhere without all my gear on. You never know what might happen.

I think anyone who doesn't bother has the right to choose not to, they are not causing anyone else a problem.

I have seen many bods lying in the road after a spill, one chap that had slid down the road was wearing jeans, he was lying in the gutter when I got to him, he was alive (moaning) but in a bad way. His backside was a burnt red colour, the skin was missing, he was only 1/2 a mile from home.

I do 8 miles to and from work every day in London traffic.
I wear a full one piece suit boots etc
yes I look like a power ranger .
The only reason im here and on this forum is in August this year I was hit buy a Nissan Quashi 4x4
I was doing 30 mph N Q pulled out of a side road onto the A5 into me because in their words "he flashed me to let me go "
The Gsxr ended up a cat b write off I bounced swore alot took off my lid swore some more looked at my bike you get the idea
Question is what would I have done without Alpinestars and leathers ????

Yes I feel like a boil in the bag turkey in summer would I wear a lid and nothing else ????

D

After seeing a scooter rider in Dagenham 2 yrs ago slide down the road in a pair of shorts and trainers, with his helmet on then die due to the loss of skin and blood i never go anywhere without armour. Never did before but this cemented the need.

Wear armoured jean is the summer, there hot but at least i'll have my skin.

Charlie

My biking life started in 1974, back then very few could afford full leathers and in our teens we wore levi's, doc martins and a levi jacket. A couple of years later we progressed to a lewis leather jacket and gold top boots with the levi jeans and the levi jackets were often woren as a cut off. This was what I was wearing with a bell star helmet when I had my first big off, had a few small ones learning but this one wrote off my Z650, broke both my legs with the bone out of the left and a fractured scull along with various cuts and bruises, the bell helmet split from the right hand side to the chin bar on the left. In the eighties leathers improved hugely and thats when I started wearing them all the time in both one and two piece. Over the years I have lost a few friends and acquaintances and have been at the scene of a few serious smashes including one with two instant fatalities with two critically injured and I can assure you these scenes never leave you. It may be down to the individual to choose what they wear but its a lot easier for the paramedic at the scene to treat someone who has worn the right gear and joe public can be traumatised at the sight of a crash victim that has been down the road in shorts.

Not always am sorry to say tho usually wear jacket tho sometime just jeans if going into town but for a long fast rd blast I wear textiles or leathers

Latest posts

Back