Decat s1rr

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My next question.... I know, I must be annoying everyone now. Ha. Once the decat is fitted, which belly pan should I order to cover up the hole that will be left? The extender, that covers the original cat? Or another one that's for full systems?

I also saw a suggestion recently that the join between the headers and the link pipe, and the link pipe/ can, can be make tighter using PTFE tape .. anyone else heard this?

Surely PTFE would just burn with exhaust heat? I've often seen proper exhaust sealing paste used to make joints totally airtight, but you need to ensure there's no reason for it to move (some end cans are on slip-joints, so the engine can move relative to the exhaust and not fracture things)

Locktite do a copper slip paste and that would be all u need around the seal, not only is shug right about the ptfe but to be honest do u want a bit of white tape hanging out. Lol
If it's too loose then it's not a right fit

Always ideas out there, some good, some bad .. this one for the bucket. cheers docta, copper slip paste a good thought, I dont relish the prospect of having to take it all apart again once fitted

I had exhaust tape on hand to use. Readily able to find on ebay. same concept as ptfe your thinking of but wont burn.

however didn't need it, the danmoto fit perfectly tight from just using a socket set and man muscle. but for £2 from ebay might as well have it incase

My next question.... I know, I must be annoying everyone now. Ha. Once the decat is fitted, which belly pan should I order to cover up the hole that will be left? The extender, that covers the original cat? Or another one that's for full systems?
I went with a simple Tecbike cover, as I like the sharper lines. If you get one too, then order it direct from them and make sure you have the extra little support bracket: http://www.tecbike.de/Nach-Marke/Au...-S-1000-RR-Full-System-von-Perfect-Parts.html

Sorry, just read it. I mean the other way round. Would it fit with a cat. Just incase the exhaust is too loud for me and I want it back to standard. Don't want to waste money if I have to buy another for the original exhaust.

Sorry, just read it. I mean the other way round. Would it fit with a cat. Just incase the exhaust is too loud for me and I want it back to standard. Don't want to waste money if I have to buy another for the original exhaust.
Yes, it fits with a cat, without the bracket.
You only need the extra little bracket if you don't have the catalyst, as it needs to stretch to fit to another fixing point (rather than the little screw on top of the catalyst).
I have the short stubby Akra too and I had the cover fitted before I de-catted and after (when I bought the bracket).
You are right to be concerned about the loudness though, as it can drone a bit ...and your mated get a bit miffed that they can't hear their own sports pipes on their bikes! Hence I have fitted a variable DB Killer to mine:
IMG_7643.jpg

Last edited:
So if I buy the one for the full system it comes with the extra bracket? And I just take the bracket off to fit it with the original exhaust? Where'd you get the DB killer from May I ask?

the danmoto fits fine, but needs longer bolts than the standard bracket on the CAT. I can explain more later in a photo and will send you 2 bolts, I've done so for a few other forum members already.

Hmm strange, the original bolts fitted mine perfectly, I just used the brackets from the CAT.

"the danmoto fit perfectly tight from just using a socket set and man muscle."

I wasn't impressed with the two round clips which came with it, I thought I was tightening them nicely and then... snap! I sheared one of them off. Replaced them with two jubilee clips from Halfords on each header, were much stronger and gave a more even tightening around the joint.

Danmoto do sell a decibel killer which does effectively quieten it down but again I wouldn't recommend going down that route as it really strangles the power, hugely noticeable. It also created so much back pressure the link pipe blew apart from the headers, bending the flimsy link pipe bracket in the process! A lesson to be had from this, always make sure the end can is bolted to the bike, oops!

In the end I reverted back to the standard system as it gives good power and is quiet enough for track days.

Hmm strange, the original bolts fitted mine perfectly, I just used the brackets from the CAT.

I bought my Danmoto december 2011, So depending on when you bought yours, I guess theres a chance they tweaked the design.

The "bracket" i'm talking about is welded to the Danmoto and likewise it's welded to the original CAT, so what bracket are you talking about?

True Ross, I got mine last year so design may have changed slightly since 2011. Yes, the actual brackets are welded to both the CAT and the link pipe, it is the two rubber grommets with the aluminium spacers which go through them which I reused, each are held on with two small nuts & bolts.

Back