Clutch cover bolts

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauly

Reaction score
Anyone had the recall notice to replace the clutch cover bolts? Apparently too much loctite (or whatever they use) was applied on the 2022 bikes, which could result in them not being tightened correctly. Potentially allowing oil to leak onto the rear tyre.

Models Affected: S1000R, S1000RR, M1000RR, S1000XR (2022 and 2023) Seems to be on a per VIN basis. Late model 2022, early models seem ok.

Situation:
The clutch cover screws can loosen. Too thick an anti-friction coating on the threads can lead to a
loss of preload in the screw connection.

Result:
The screws can loosen, oil can then spray on the right side of the rear tire as well as on the catalytic
converter. Dangerous driving situations therefore cannot be excluded.

Measure:
Unavailable right now.

UPDATE 1:
UPDATE to Delivery STOP for replacing of the clutch cover screws
Affecting S1000RR, M10000RR, S1000XR, S1000R late 2022 builds

Vehicles produced from September 30th 2022 are no longer affected.

The repair method is replacement of the 10 Clutch Cover screws and replacement of the clutch cover gasket. In some cases, the gasket will not be available so if no oil has leaked, proceed as follows. Remove the screws, clean the thread of the engine case and outer surface of the clutch cover. Then replace all screws with new ones and tighten to the same specification of 3Nm + 90?.

If oil has already leaked, the gasket must be replaced.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Last edited:
^ Copied for a BennyMX post on the .com forum
Sounds like if you have a 2022 build it's best to ask the dealer.

Thanks for the reply. I took delivery of the bike a couple of weeks ago, and shortly after the dealer told me to stop using the bike due to the recall. Apparently the new bolts may not be available until 07/11 at earliest. Is there a possibility of some goodwill directly from BMW in this situation?

Thanks for the reply. I took delivery of the bike a couple of weeks ago, and shortly after the dealer told me to stop using the bike due to the recall. Apparently the new bolts may not be available until 07/11 at earliest. Is there a possibility of some goodwill directly from BMW in this situation?
IMO, Main dealer should give you a loaner (in exchange for your bike). But I suspect its dealer discretion.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Suspect this is a possible issue on my bike BUT my problem is that I had replaced around 3-4 screws ( obviously one at a time ) when I put on my carbon clutch cover. I suspect bmw might say this is the issue and try charge me? I did use Loctite when putting my bolts back on. It was just when checking oil recently I noticed some oil residue around the oil check glass and some underneath which has obviously been running down. Now my understanding is that if oil has already leaked out then you must replace the gasket. Can someone advise if this is a simple enough diy job to carry out ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFAIK the bolts are single use, otherwise they'd be cleaned and re used.

AFAIK the bolts are single use, otherwise they'd be cleaned and re used.
Lol.. I see the recall question has been raised..

They are one time use for sure, timing cover etc, is same on the other side, also it looks as though they have a coating on them probably to stop corrosion between the two different materials.

I kept the ones I removed and used them to secure my mirror blanks along with a Nyloc nut, the heads look nicer than a standard machine screw or Hex bolt head...

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Suspect this is a possible issue on my bike BUT my problem is that I had replaced around 3-4 screws ( obviously one at a time ) when I put on my carbon clutch cover. I suspect bmw might say this is the issue and try charge me? I did use Loctite when putting my bolts back on. It was just when checking oil recently I noticed some oil residue around the oil check glass and some underneath which has obviously been running down. Now my understanding is that if oil has already leaked out then you must replace the gasket. Can someone advise if this is a simple enough diy job to carry out ?

Thanks

Should have said . I used different bolts that came with the carbon clutch cover to secure, I didn?t reuse the BMW ones.

In my opinion, a loose clutch cover is a big defect of the manufacturer. An oil spill on a tire can cost the life of the bike owner. The dealer must distribute to all owners of 2022 and 2023. 10 bolts and 1 gasket.

In my opinion, a loose clutch cover is a big defect of the manufacturer. An oil spill on a tire can cost the life of the bike owner. The dealer must distribute to all owners of 2022 and 2023. 10 bolts and 1 gasket.

Should they distribute a torque wrench and a bit to fit the bolts too?

The right question.
To avoid all undesirable situations, the dealer should do the replacement himself in his workshops. There is definitely a torque wrench and a bit there.

3nm is a mighty low figure, I always tightened them by feel and never had a problem. Mind you, I always used 1/4 drive gear with little leverage and never had a problem.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

The right question.
To avoid all undesirable situations, the dealer should do the replacement himself in his workshops. There is definitely a torque wrench and a bit there.

My 2 week old bike had the recall notice, and was then off the road for over a month waiting for the new bolts. AFAIK BMW knew which exactly which engines had the issue.

3nm is a mighty low figure, I always tightened them by feel and never had a problem. Mind you, I always used 1/4 drive gear with little leverage and never had a problem.

the key with covers like the clutch cover is to tighten them all down and go back and tighten them again, that?s why they give the + 90? ( 1/4 ) after reaching the 3nm

I think mine was built before the bikes that are affected by this issue, I?ll double check mine anyway when I can be bothered to have look.

You mean you dont do your riders checks every time prior to a ride tut tut William [emoji16]

Oh of course I do. But a very slight weep won?t show up initially without running your finger across the underside of where the cover joins the case.

I took the bike to work Friday morning and checked it over Thursday evening and the oil level was good, no signs of leaks, I just didn?t check the cover.

Oh of course I do. But a very slight weep won?t show up initially without running your finger across the underside of where the cover joins the case.

I took the bike to work Friday morning and checked it over Thursday evening and the oil level was good, no signs of leaks, I just didn?t check the cover.
Other than checking my chain, I give my tyres a look and check pressure, that's about it for me..

Latest posts

Back