Cleaning up Alu Panniers

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
My GS panniers look like a teenagers face on a diet of weed and pizza (nothing wrong with that), but I'm struggling to get them cleaned up.

Anyone got an idea on how to get the salt marks and black spots off? I have tried normal washing, autoglym metal polish and tar remover with a little success but still bad.

Attachments

• image-3686074062.jpg
    image-3686074062.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 26
I've seen some people do black vinyl wraps on these to get around the problem, looks like a sod of a job to try yourself, wonder what it would cost to have it done professionally?

I saw a video on YouTube a while ago with a guy doing the wrap but as you say, what a faff and could look like a dogs dinner if not perfect.

Thought about the plasticoat covering you trialled on some other stuff? Once you get them cleaned.

- Sent from Mobile Device

No time at all, my alu top box is 1 month old and is already getting the odd mark despite a clean after every run, the alu luggage on my previous GS was all oxidised, you're fighting a losing battle trying to keep it as new

Out of interest, once cleaned how long would it take for them to end up as oxidised as in your photo?

I'll let you know but as MacRR says, not long. The bike and luggage was new in September. I've done 4K miles over that period and washed it probably 2 or 3 times.

Andy IT IS a GSA, leave them alone, it would be like removing the patina from a valuable antique. My dad asked me yesterday why my (brand new on Monday) additional tool box pannier had a dent in it?
My answer: I hit it with a hammer (technical adjustment) so it didn't rub on my pannier frames!

Sportsbikes look lovely shiny and new, Adventure bikes need to look adventurous, even though some only get ridden off road in Tescos car park. Trust me, grow your hair long and get riding across a desert, you'll never wash your panniers again. LOl

Its good to be back, thanks for the PM's

JimmyMac

Hi :). The treatment didn't work, never mind, I tried it this week and the panniers still look like they've been shot blasted by salt crystals. I was more annoyed about the drop in resale value they will suffer due to looking so cr@p when the time comes. I'm not fussed about the bike aesthetics so much, I've managed to not bother cleaning the rims since I bought it :).

On the subject of GSAs, I'm changing tyres from the anakees soon and saw that there are PR4 Trails, marketed as: for adventure touring bikes ridden exclusively on the road.

WTF?

The panniers will not make any difference to the price of your bike Andy don't worry, if a dealer gets it they have secret stuff they use that takes years off bikes overnight. I have given back two brand new sets when changing my bike cause I like my bashed, scratched and creosote covered (don't ask) panniers. Every ding has a story, I actually put a 10mm scratch in my HP4 Silencer a few months back, that has a story too but only for face to face not on here, funny too.

Does yours have the Matt finish on the rims?, Douglas Park in East Kilbride used a VERY corrosive cleaner on their demo bike allowed it to dry on the rims and totally trashed the rims on it. Simple soap and water works great with very hot water.

JimmyMac

Hi :). The treatment didn't work, never mind, I tried it this week and the panniers still look like they've been shot blasted by salt crystals. I was more annoyed about the drop in resale value they will suffer due to looking so cr@p when the time comes. I'm not fussed about the bike aesthetics so much, I've managed to not bother cleaning the rims since I bought it :).

On the subject of GSAs, I'm changing tyres from the anakees soon and saw that there are PR4 Trails, marketed as: for adventure touring bikes ridden exclusively on the road.

WTF?

Going for Tourances next?

Latest posts

Back