Cleaning brakes - how?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flight

Reaction score
Ok, my front brakes are binding . I took the calipers off , removed pads the gave them a clean with a tooth brush . Still binding… What else can i/should i try.

What step by step method do you guys recommend ?

Thanks guys.

Normally, I d pop the pistons and seals out, clean them all up and make sure the calipers were clean especially the groves the seals go in, then pop it all back together. However, I suspect the abs system will probably cause problems trying to bleed the system, they have for me on cars.

I have the same calipers on my KTM SMT and that seems to drag the brakes more than jap bikes too. I cleaned those up and it made no difference what so ever.

So how bad is it? When you have the wheel off the ground and spin it, can you spin the wheels easily? If they spin easily but slow down quickly, I would suggest taking it for a slow spin and avoid using the brakes, if the discs are hot, then yes you have an issue, if they aren't, you don't.

What mileage is on the bike? Know this might sound like a basic thing but have you checked the diaphragm is fitted correctly in the res?

2012 model , 10000 miles on clock. bmw said they probably need cleaning...

when you have the bike on a front paddock stand the wheel spins but stops very quickly...

Did you buy it from Park Lane, as they should have inspected it before letting you ride it.

Did you buy it from Park Lane, as they should have inspected it before letting you ride it.

yes… came from park lane… they said I should change the brake fluid £58 + vat and use DOT 5.1 £40 and recommended the calipers be clened £??????...

I had the sake issue with my rear, turned out BMW's had adjusted it for some reason and that is why it was binding. slackened it off sorted....... could it be something as simple as that?

Back