Chain link size

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes high quality 520's can be better the poor 525's but like for like same brand etc 525's stronger.

Track day riders do not need 520. You can do it but theres more risk of them snapping. A racer on here had one go the other day.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I've been told that the 520 chains are stronger than 525, it's the sprockets that are weaker. It makes sense that a narrower pin would be stronger, wider pins have a better spread of load which gives a longer life.

So something smaller and lighter is stronger?
I suggest a look up of tensile strength...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Okay, I found some information that a typical oem 525 chain has a tensile strength less than 6500 whereas after market 520 chains are around 9400, so I guess that?s where that assumption came from. A large proportion racers run with 520 chains so you?re more likely to hear about them snapping. Knowing that a good quality 520 is most likely stronger than stock, why not try it?

Okay, I found some information that a typical oem 525 chain has a tensile strength less than 6500 whereas after market 520 chains are around 9400, so I guess that?s where that assumption came from. A large proportion racers run with 520 chains so you?re more likely to hear about them snapping. Knowing that a good quality 520 is most likely stronger than stock, why not try it?

You need to compare like for like at 520 vs 525 sizes and most importantly take heed of what the companies themselves recommend. There are far fewer 520 chains recommended for 200hp Superbikes at prices trackdayers can afford than 525's that will last them and not empty the wallet completely. We're not racing, every last gram of reciprocating mass isn't going to matter.

If you really want to go 520 do make sure its capable.

Last edited:
I'm not disputing that like for like the 525 is stronger, but a quick search has revealed that they do recommend 520 as an alternative.
https://www.afam.com/en/service-2/kit-configurator-afam/
AFAM list two kits not specifying road or race, I found one of those kits for ?127 delivered. Surely if you can afford a 200bhp Susperbike then ?127 is a reasonable cost. Its not just about losing a negligible amount of sprung weight, the lower unsprung weight improves comfort, for racers it's all about gaining the 1.5bhp lost in larger chains. It also looks cool too :cool:

Back