Chain and sprockets

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRS463

Reaction score
Well I am sick to death of the rust on the chain after cleaning it. Who can recommend a chain for a bike that does 50miles a day as a commuter and the occasional rag on the continent.

charlie

I do 50 miles a day as well.

Replaced chain at 19k miles with Gold DID chain, BMW standard front 17 tooth sprocket and at the rear BMW 45 tooth from 2012 model. Was livelier at the beginning.

I was looking at all the fancy "brand whore" sprockets and chains. Ended up going with JT Sprockets and Gold X-ring Chain. £80

Well the bike is in for a new rear swing arm and have been told the chain and rear sprocket need replacing at 9000 miles and that the calipers need cleaning again?

where did you get your chains and sprockets from?

cheers

charlie

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400459925344?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thats what I bought, not fitting until Jan when I'll be doing alot of work on bike. Sprocket is of equal quality and chain is of equal tensile strength as original. So should last 10,000 miles at a minimum. The OEM chain is pooh so anything is a step up.

And if you want the larger rear sprocket that the 2012 model has, just put that in a message when buying it and they will send that out.

32,000mls on my first C+S up to 23K on my second one never adjust it or lube it got a scott-oiler :encouragement:

R1Sean

Wel BMW Park Lane have ordered DID chain and 2 sprockets fitted for £280 and as i have no tools in London I told them to proceed, problem half solved.

£280 ouch.

But thats probably sticking to BMW's 50% mark up.

Just ordered Front wheel bearings and seals from 3rd party was £17.80, Rear bearings and seals had to get from BMW £40.80. We all know rear bearings are more expensive but not that kind of hike up.
It's the £60 an hour labour charges that turn my stomach. Especially since they would of probably classed Chain and sprocket as an hour labour, when 15/20 minutes would be ample. And if they charging you 30 minutes labour then that makes the £280 for chain and sprocket even more horrifying

How many miles has your bike done Ross?

One hour to change a chain and sprocket on an S1000RR is fair. 15-20 mins is rushing.

How many miles has your bike done Ross?

It's on 9200 at moment by end of Jan will be between 11500/12000 so will be doing few things to it.

Bearings & seals front and rear wheels.
Cush drive rubbers and bearings
Chain and sprockets
Calipers cleaned and pistons replaced. (new fluid as well of course)
Pads front and back
Spark plugs

Along with usual service stuff.
KN air filter cleaned and oiled
KN oil filter replaced
5w40 fully synthetic oil change
Coolant Change
Along with other normal service checks

Latest posts

Back