Caught doing 160mph onS1000RR.....(not me)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been caught and banned for a not too dissimilar speed back in the noughties. I was absolutely bricking it when I went to court and ended up with a 6 month ban and small fine. Before that I used to play silly buggers on the road without thinking about it. After it was totally different. I keep all my shenanigans for the track these days and try to keep it sensible-ish on the roads. Curiously the ban had no effect on my insurance after wish was an unexpected bonus.

We all know the outcome if we get caught so we can't bleat about the punishment.

I've owned quick cars and bikes for 25 years, the opportunities to use their full performance on the road without risking serious consequences have decreased dramatically in that time. Speed on it's own that would have got a slap on the wrist years ago makes national TV news now, and gives the feds wood.

Can I say here and now that the next 2 weeks waiting for the NiP to arrive was the worst 2 weeks of my life. I learnt a lot from that and have lost 2 weeks I will never get back.
you picture yourself in the papers with your house, family, job all gone.

Nobody with any sense should get into proper trouble by being caught by a camera van. They rely you having to incriminate yourself by naming the driver, or face 6 points and a moderately large fine (~150% of Relevant Weekly Income - max ?1000 fine). Whilst I would avoid actually advising anybody to commit a criminal offence, if given the choice of admitting to being the driver and going to prison for dangerous driving, or getting 6 points and a moderately large fine, it wouldn't be a difficult decision.

Who knows whether our mate was trying to slow us, however it worked for me. Sometimes you have to reel in the speed and wait for ALMERIA in 3 weeks time and let it all loose down that back straight yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaa

Hmmm.

I once went up to 72 mph , realised my mistake and backed right off[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Just been reading all this, the trouble with taking the law into your own hands, whatever you're doing, isn't just the impact it has on you if things go wrong but more importantly the impact it has on innocent people around you. If you own a powerful bike you have a responsibility to everyone else to use its performance appropriately, there are some places in the UK where 160mph could be hit safely in the right conditions, that bit of A47 where the guy got caught isn't one of them and especially not on a Sunday afternoon.

Just been reading all this, the trouble with taking the law into your own hands, whatever you're doing, isn't just the impact it has on you if things go wrong but more importantly the impact it has on innocent people around you.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "taking the law into your own hands", but the danger is caused by the manner of driving - whether that's not paying attention, driving far too fast for the conditions, or whatever. Avoiding being punished more harshly than necessary has nothing to do with that.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "taking the law into your own hands", but the danger is caused by the manner of driving - whether that's not paying attention, driving far too fast for the conditions, or whatever. Avoiding being punished more harshly than necessary has nothing to do with that.

I'm not making a legal point just saying what I think, thought that was fairly obvious

Wont be happening again i assure you. Not coming out of rain mode for the rest of the year.[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Latest update, his bike is up for sale and he is a member of the S1000rr facebook page. Im not going to name his name as its non of my business but i can imagine it will be up for fairly cheap

What is the Facebook page called? I can't seem
To find a decent active one?

Stu - 160 mate is beyond going fast, I couldn't ride on a public road at that speed and expect to survive for long.

155 is far more sensible and manageable. :)

Marzy - I reckon if you got cut in half the word Almeria would ebb out of you lol. But you are quite right imo. It's not worth it, save it for a track, or even worst case not on a busy main road on a Sunday afternoon ffs.
Haha yer right soof. Whether Andalucia lives upto the excitement of Almeria we will have to see next month. ?449 for 2 days at Almeria and 2 days at Andaluicia on the Med with hotel in Mojacar next to the beach. WTF are people still doing UK trackdays. Time for a new subject i wrecken. Oh bugger i've hijacked another post lol.

Latest posts

Back