Caught doing 160mph onS1000RR.....(not me)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not on Facebook guys , has the fella said much about it? how much is he selling his bike for?

Just confirmed it was him when asked. Others wished him well in avoiding custodial sentence. No price that I saw.

If he doesn't have bad history, has a job and a family to support I'd expect a fine, long ban with retest and maybe a short suspended custodial. Time to Barrister up.

A few years back I was out with 6 other mates. One of the riders was an off duty traffic cop at the back of the group, we were riding a little spirited shall we say. We were on major A road when we pulled into a cafe. Our traffic cop mate jumped off his bike and said to the rest of "did you see the camera van tucked into the hedge behind the bridge"? No we didn't, but I remember thinking that he was from traffic where he would see thing's on the road others don't. He said "chap's I saw him last minute and scrubbed my speed off to double figures".
Can I say here and now that the next 2 weeks waiting for the NiP to arrive was the worst 2 weeks of my life. I learnt a lot from that and have lost 2 weeks I will never get back.
you picture yourself in the papers with your house, family, job all gone.
Nothing came of it thank god. Who knows whether our mate was trying to slow us, however it worked for me. Sometimes you have to reel in the speed and wait for ALMERIA in 3 weeks time and let it all loose down that back straight yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaa

Quite sensible Marzy but if you dont have any track days lined up or dont have that luxury available what do you do then ?. It's a game of cat and mouse pretty much we all play..some more than others.

Anyhow this bit made me smile

"lost 2 weeks I will never get back, you picture yourself in the papers with your house, family, job all gone".

Im thinking that sounds like JimmyMac when he gets his VAT inspection letter from the revenue !...lolol.

stuarts phone

Last edited:
Guys if any of you are friends with the person caught in this incident, you can message me privately and I can advise but as someone pointed out above - main advice is get a solicitor as avoiding jail is paramount.

@Marzy - really good perspective. I know we are not all track riders and on these bikes reach a speed we should not, its so easy. But trust me, nothing is worth time inside or else a serious accident so its good to bear in mind....

lets face it...it could have been anyone of us...I'm guessing we all we let it loose once in a while

stuarts phone

Stu - 160 mate is beyond going fast, I couldn't ride on a public road at that speed and expect to survive for long.

155 is far more sensible and manageable. :)

Marzy - I reckon if you got cut in half the word Almeria would ebb out of you lol. But you are quite right imo. It's not worth it, save it for a track, or even worst case not on a busy main road on a Sunday afternoon ffs.

Lol... my thoughts exactly Soof... I had a blast from Callendar to Drymen at 9ish last nite with a few quick lads... I ride with a Dark visor and had to follow tail lights and hope for the best ... kind of equivalent of the above but marginally slower...hehe

stuarts phone

Stu - 160 mate is beyond going fast, I couldn't ride on a public road at that speed and expect to survive for long.

155 is far more sensible and manageable. :)

Marzy - I reckon if you got cut in half the word Almeria would ebb out of you lol. But you are quite right imo. It's not worth it, save it for a track, or even worst case not on a busy main road on a Sunday afternoon ffs.

I'm afraid I sit on this side of the fence. Whilst I am guilty of travelling a bit quick sometimes, and indeed got pulled over in Scotland and given a ticket a couple of weeks ago, 160 on a public road is madness, and incredibly irresponsible. I know a lot of people will call me a pussy and disagree with me because 'we all do it' and 'that's why we ride bikes' etc, but I'm afraid I don't really care about that.

I ride bikes as stress relief, for the freedom of being unencumbered by passengers, work, the TV news, general worries and cares, and the like. I don't go for slick mode, the biggest lean angles, being the fastest rider in a group, hitting the maximum speed of the bike, wheelies, or any of that nonsense. I bought an SThou not because it was the fastest, most powerful bike; I bought it because I've always wanted one since 2010, and I could finally afford one. I bought one because it looks great, and I'm proud to own it. I bought one because it has all the rider aids which help keep me safe.

I'm afraid actions like those in this case give those of us who try to ride sensibly (even if not always 100% within the speed limit, let's be honest) and safely a bad name - and that doesn't help the motorcyclists' cause. We can complain all we like about the lack of respect car drivers give us, how they like to block us when filtering, how they don't give us the same courtesy as other road users, etc - but then a case like this comes up where a rider, (who I'm sure is a perfectly nice guy) demonstrates an utter disregard and disrespect for the law, and their and others' safety.

We cannot have it both ways.

I realise this won't be a comment to everyone's taste as I know a lot of people generally in the motorcycling community love to ride balls out, and in some cases belittle those of us who they perceive as 'slow' or not 'real bikers' - whilst that's not generally the case on this forum, the rider in this case seems to have general support from many on the basis that 'we've all done it'. Well, I'm sorry, but I haven't, and I cannot give my support to the guilty party in this case other than to hope that for his sake he doesn't suffer any lasting ill-effect beyond a massive hike in insurance prices in future and a big bill for taxis. I wouldn't want to see him in prison, losing his family, house and livelihood; but in my opinion he does deserve a severe punishment.

If I want to ride like that, I'll book a trackday, and exploit my bike's capabilities in a safe, secure, and legal environment.

If my opinion makes me unpopular, then so be it, but I hate to see the hobby I love brought into the spotlight in this way when there are so many fantastic stories about motorcyclists; the funeral of Ian Bell recently; the TT memorial lap; the volunteers on blood bikes; the Easter egg runs and Santa runs - those are the stories which should be in the news.

I've been caught and banned for a not too dissimilar speed back in the noughties. I was absolutely bricking it when I went to court and ended up with a 6 month ban and small fine. Before that I used to play silly buggers on the road without thinking about it. After it was totally different. I keep all my shenanigans for the track these days and try to keep it sensible-ish on the roads. Curiously the ban had no effect on my insurance after wish was an unexpected bonus.

We all know the outcome if we get caught so we can't bleat about the punishment.

Think your comments are a bit OTT... this forum is actually populated by pretty responsible riders who like me like a turn of speed on the road and a laugh on here at the same time... it is possible you know.

I too dislike people who make statements about 130 MPH wheelies or whatever, and specifics like the fat Busa guy a few years ago that was caught at well over a ton with his kid on the back and proudly announced to all and sundry that his bike does over 200MPH whilst standing outside the courthouse, these people have no place in motorcycling.

I don't get problems filtering, actually I find car drivers the exact opposite, they split when I manouver down the middle, I always acknowledge this, I also acknowledge drivers when dipping in and out when overtaking.

I've never had a car driver block me deliberately, I'm a confident rider with out being cocky who perhaps controls his surroundings rather than the other way round. Your right about what makes news and what doesn't but sadly that's life.

Not sure who all these balls out people are that bring our hobby into disrepute, as I said above, every now and again you get an idiot popping up in the news unfortunately.

It's all about choices.

Stuart

Last edited:
Think your comments are a bit OTT... this forum is actually populated by pretty responsible riders who like me like a turn of speed on the road and a laugh on here at the same time... it is possible you know.

I too dislike people who make statements about 130 MPH wheelies or whatever, and specifics like the fat Busa guy a few years ago that was caught at well over a ton with his kid on the back and proudly announced to all and sundry that his bike does over 200MPH whilst standing outside the courthouse, these poeplle have no place in motorcycling.

I don't get problems filtering, actually I find car drivers the exact opposite, they split when I manouver down the middle, I always acknowledge this, I also acknowledge drivers when dipping in and out whilst overtaking.

I've never had a car driver block me deliberately, I'm a confident rider with out being cocky who perhaps controls his surroundings rather than the other way round. Your right about what makes news and what doesn't but sadly that's life.

Not sure who all these balls out people are that bring our hobby into disrepute, as I said above, every now and again you get an idiot possping up in the news.

Stuart

Picking up on the specifics is a little unfair, as I mentioned things like filtering purely as examples of things you will regularly find brought up by riders when discussing car drivers' attitudes.

I did make the point that this forum does not generally fall into the trap - and I appreciate, and did recognise the fact that most of the members here do not come across in that way - but you've made exactly the point I have. I am courteous to other road users, and find generally that they are such in return. I don't normally have many problems filtering, but I have come across the odd driver who'll make life difficult and nudge their car over to narrow a gap, shaking their head as you legally pass them.

The problem is that whilst, as you say "this forum is actually populated by pretty responsible riders who like me like a turn of speed on the road and a laugh on here at the same time", there are plenty of riders who don't have the same attitude - and 160MPH on a public road, on a Sunday afternoon, reflects that. It's those people I have an issue with.

I agree it's perfectly possible to enjoy your ride, be responsible, but still like the odd blast at naughty speeds - but there's very different levels of naughty.

As I said, if my opinion is unpopular, then fine - I'm happy to take it somewhere else.

Last edited:
How do you reply without relating to specifics ?... it's cool you don't have to go anywhere else, this is just a discussion forum with different views from different people.

Stuart

I meant the specific examples of rider vs. driver complaints. The ones I chose were generic - I wasn't implying that every rider suffers them, I was just using them as a vehicle to make the point that we all need to co-exist on the roads safely, and 160MPH speeding gets everyone a bad name. Not every Muslim is a terrorist, but there are plenty of people and places in the world that regard them as such, based on the actions of, relatively speaking, a tiny number of nutcases blowing up airports.

One mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter double R.

stuart

I think the point is that one arsehole biker gives all bikers a bad rep. I see it myself when I am about (usually in the car) when riders intimidate drivers, or worse, give them verbal abuse for not making way for them (happened to my wife the other day when I was with her and she had done nothing wrong), or sticking up two fingers at drivers because they don't give way (watched an elderly driver on the A1 a couple of weeks ago being abused in this way by two bikers and a pillion, disgraceful), or being up the back bumper to force their way through... the list is endless. It's about respect for other road users plain and simple. I see way too many riders who have little or no respect for other road users, I think the helmet somehow makes them feel they can behave very badly and remain anon?

Anyway, rant over. We don't get many of those types around this forum. I think its because BMWs are for pussys if I remember the post correctly? Real men ride GSXRs apparently.

edit - I deleted that last bit, a bit harsh, even though its fair imo.

Last edited:
I am not going to get into this to much don't want to incriminate myself , other than to say personaly there is a time and a place for everything , I like to enjoy my bike , I like the rush , as Stuart said it's all about choices, we make our own decisions and live with them, I am not going to condemn or condone anyone.

FWIW, I've been deliberately brake tested whilst filtering. Mini-bus veered over the broken lines of two lanes and hit the brakes, on a motorway.
I've seen bikers do aggressive things too.
Point is there's a-holes everywhere.

We all have our views on acceptable road behaviour. We're ALL willing to break the rules by a certain degree. In this instance someone got caught and the rest of us can choose to learn from that or not.

Latest posts

Back