CAT D Write off. What's it worth?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GixxerChuck

Forum Vendor
Reaction score
Bike that was stolen recovered has been written off. Mainly due to the frame replacement where the steering lock was broken.
May buy it back and just sell it on to try to recover some of the lost excess so establishing what people will pay.
Bike is a 2015 S1000RR Sport with the performance pack (Not the wheels)
Bike has 32k on it and will have a CAT D marker on it which means it has been written off due to repair costs. BMW parts and labour estimate was ?6800, but plastic weld on the fairing panels and a paint repair rather than new tank accounts for nearly ?3k of this.
Damage is as below
Frame lugs for steering lock, clean break (no other damage to frame is visible or obvious)
Steering lock pin broken
Upper fairing panels have the lugs where the panels screw in are now U instead of O (where panel pulled back)
Scratch on petrol tank.
Has a full BMW service history and runs perfectly (does not have the auto turn feature many have)
Suspension has been set up by MCT.
Completely standard (will have all standard parts on it put back on.
Perfect as a track bike, but can't justify it myself as well as the gixxer, and can't sell the gixxer.
Will put it in for sale section if it becomes available. If you are seriously interested pm me and will see what can sort out.

Well BvG bought that cat D HP4 he rides around on for about ?6500, it had only done a couple of thousand miles and I think he spent about ?3k on it to get it back on the road. Your bike isn't anywhere near as badly damaged but it does have 32k miles which is probably more of a value hit than the fact it's stolen recovered. It'll be a savvy buy for someone, if I was in the market for a gen 3 I'd certainly make you an offer, glws :)

how much is the insurance company wanting to charge your to by it back mate?

wow that would be really cheap considering if you can live with a scratch on the tank and a broken steering lock , if I was you I would be tempted to keep it

you can fit race lock stops on the top of the forks. i think r+g do some. I might be interested for a track bike when you have a price sorted.

I wrote my 2012 off (cat d ) Three and a half years ago I bought it back off the insurance Company for ?2300 and spent ?2500 on rebuilding it. ive done 18000 miles on it since and think its doing alright for a 5 grand bike ,so if I were you id to keep it repair it and enjoy .

go racing it will cost a few quid but the bike if you got it for 2500 ish and put 2500 in it will make a cracking club race bike and would think you would still get 8k for it in race clothes. but may want a engine refresh first as it is going to be ragged on track.

Maybe im wrong but how good i known after stolen and recovered bike propably get a Q plate it's mean immpossible to insure at normal terms ;(

if im wrong correct me Please but LAST year i allmost bought bike after stolen & rec who had Q plate and when i ask insurance company about quote they said " we didnt insure Q plates " only 3 Ins comp want insure Q plate bike but the price was astronomical ;(

Stolen recovered don't go on a Q plate, in fact ultra rare to see a Q plate nowadays - only used if a vehicles age or identity is unknown

Last edited:
RR my mate repaired Bedfords in the REME... We still see em locally going to RNAD Glen Douglas and Faslane...

Sent from Galaxy S7

Not gonna be a CAT D. Negotiated a settlement fee. Bike up for sale soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back