CanBus Suitable For All GPS?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavey

Reaction score
Hi folks, apologies if this has been covered somewhere already....is the CanBus plug (right side of tank) suitable for ANY GPS device or just Garmin products? When i bought my bike I asked the dealer to install my TomTom Rider v2 power cable via the ignition (i suggested via the CanBus) but they refused saying they would only connect it direct via the battery for some reason?? Any ideas why the CanBus connection should be a problem? I thought that's what it was designed for??

...My TomTom is now old and battered so i've just ordered an new TomTom 410.....i'd like to power this one via the ignition if possible...can i just order the CanBus connecter cable and wire the device from there or am i missing something?

My dealer was pretty hopeless generally so i'm guessing they were just being awkward, but just thought i better check beforehand?

Cheers guys ;)

As long as the gps is 12v then it should be fine,nippynormans sell cables for doing this. They also do a CANBUS to USB which I'm going to get as I use my phone for gps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks RRoss ;) ...i've just spoken to another (less awkward!) dealer who has also confirmed it's fine to connect via the CanBus:eek:range:

Some sat navs like the Garmin Zumo 350/390 have a transformer in the power lead which converts 12v to 5v. It is this conversion that has caused many reported problems with sat navs not switching off and keeping the canbus live and then the inevitable rapid drain of the bikes battery. If your sat nav does not convert 12v to 5v then you will not encounter any issues and it can be easily connected to the provided socket with the adapter available from Nippy Normans or elsewhere. The 12v to 5v converter is built into the power lead and is about the size of a small box of matches. If you haven't got that then you're ok.

Some sat navs like the Garmin Zumo 350/390 have a transformer in the power lead which converts 12v to 5v. It is this conversion that has caused many reported problems with sat navs not switching off and keeping the canbus live and then the inevitable rapid drain of the bikes battery. If your sat nav does not convert 12v to 5v then you will not encounter any issues and it can be easily connected to the provided socket with the adapter available from Nippy Normans or elsewhere. The 12v to 5v converter is built into the power lead and is about the size of a small box of matches. If you haven't got that then you're ok.
Ahh cheers Rich.....the TomTom cable doesnt have a converter in it so all good ;) ...i'm getting it fitted today so will report back here if any issues.

Latest posts

Back