2023+ OEM GoPro/GPS mount - metal replacement

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The 2023 has a new tail unit and BMW make a special Gopro and GPS holder for it.

20230330_150951.jpg

This is the main bracket underneath, and the subject of this post.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 14.03.43.jpg

I snapped the gopro mount with the first use. Insta360 R on a 6" mounting bar. It couldn't take the pendulem stresses of the camera on a stick...pretty sure a kick from getting on and off would also kill it.

I spoke to Kelfab after buying another of his pillion peg mounts. ?55 for reference. (This will do the job and is also much cheaper than the carbon cover and bracketry but it doesn't hold the GPS mouse...).

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 14.10.12.jpg

I asked Kel if he was able to make a metal replacement or suggest ways to modify the BMW piece so that the gopro was no longer at risk of disappearing. I sent the lot off to him and he's taken it to a 3D scanning/printing place he uses to discuss options. He's pretty open that it's probably too expensive to do much but I thought I'd throw it out here. If the piece was made from aluminium via sintered 3D printing (metal fused, no welds) it would be in the ball park of ?75. The OEM piece is ?20. I've bought 2 already so have spent ?40 on the OEM part.

If you own/owned a 2023+ and wanted this bracket would you pay that much for a bracket that was more robust? Would have to order a batch to get them at that price. My gut reaction is that it's just too much and too niche. But if there was a strong desire and deposits down I'd consider ordering 20...

Last edited:
It's a greatst idea and I'm surgprised that there is not a commercial solution out there already. Not sure I like the angle but it might be good for a vew out the back on track days. What you need is a platform to advertise this to all the 'influencer' crowd that ride around with 2 meter selfie poles sticking out the back :friendly_wink:.

Having a longer mount on the printed version might not be a bad idea but would add cost. I'd seen folks try to use a long pole already with the same result (probably much quicker). I'f I'd tried a Hero 5 Session cam on a 6" stick instead of the heavy Insta360 R then the first one might have survived...but I'm sure they will all break eventually. A metal or composite version really is the only way forwards, and even then if you want a really long pole attached you'd want a secondary brace.

Or this; https://store.insta360.com/product/motorcycle_ubolt_mount

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back