Buffing up scuffed carbon

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I was taking my bike out (2020 R) the garage today and I noticed that the Akra's carbon heat protector and carbon end piece have some grazing, i.e. damage at both ends. I think I brushed the exhaust up against the garage wall getting it out a while back, so that explains the rear scuff.
This is the exhaust, couldn't get a good pic of mine in the bright sunlight: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30500508...ca5MvmVB4kVjH_s5J19ABW_fGWS1GHhwaAidmEALw_wcB

Neither graze looks too bad/deep, is there a safe way to buff it out? Never worked with carbon/carbon effect/whatever it is

Cheers

Last edited:
It will be genuine, Carbon, I would think. If any of the fibres are exposed you could try a permanent inky and touch up that way, it depends on how deep the scuff marks are.. probably only you will notice it anyway lol..

NB:Inky = Ink Marker

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I scuffed mine a year or two back when I dropped the bike.
Mine was a gloss finish.
All I did with mine was I took it off and flatted it off with fine grade wet and dry. Then gave it a coat of clear gloss lacquer. It came up brilliantly and it was impossible to tell it had been damaged. Same repair if it’s a matt finish, just use matt lacquer!
Carbon fibre is so easy to rub down!
Hope this helps👍

I scuffed mine a year or two back when I dropped the bike.
Mine was a gloss finish.
All I did with mine was I took it off and flatted it off with fine grade wet and dry. Then gave it a coat of clear gloss lacquer. It came up brilliantly and it was impossible to tell it had been damaged. Same repair if it’s a matt finish, just use matt lacquer!
Carbon fibre is so easy to rub down!
Hope this helps👍
Good points well made from roadrunner. Just a little further explanation of his points. 'Flattening off' means using wet and dry paper in various grades, look at the scratches, how rough do you need to start with? 800 grade? Use plenty of water and a dash of washing up liquid for lubrication, keep the surface wet and concentrate on removing the scratches a 90 degrees to the original scratches. Afterwards you should just have 800 grade scratches. Now switch to 1600 grade, again use plenty of water all the time keep the area wet and remove the 800 grade scratches at 90 degrees to them, repeat with 2000 grade and again with and even finer grade if you can find it. Just have confidence and try it. You can also use the 2000 grade to flatten the lacquer too.

Latest posts

Back