Brakes Seized

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreudianSlip

Reaction score
So .. I washed the bike the other day after a grimey run up'norf .. then lovingly put the bike in the garage, butted it up against the usual kind of garage junk installed the various locks and chains and left it to slumber.

I then (today) received the dash-clock security harness and given that I had to fit the pillion pegs supplied by MikePotteRR (thanks again) I decided to brave the weather and run to the garage.

All was going well - frame plugs removed, right hand side pillion peg fitted nicely; then came time to move the bike backwards and outwards so I could get in between the bike and the ageing m3 sat accumulating another year of dust in order to fit the left hand side pillion peg. I tried like *hell* to move the bike back, but the brakes had seized with rust off the disks. Now, I'd normally fix this by starting it up, slapping it in gear and pull away forwards until the brakes let go, but I'd snuggly parked the bike with the front wheel touching.

10 minutes of condensed shouting, cursing, lamenting and generally beating my own stupidity to death, the bike finally decided to give in and let me move it backwards a few inches - which of course was all I needed to do the 'shunting' motion to get the wheels to turn.

I've now got some squeaky brakes (but a mile or 2 on the roads will sort that).

I tell you the tale to both 1) remind you guys not to be a fool like I (was), and 2) to find out if theres any 'gentler' cure to rusted brakes?

I have just sold my S1000RR so I'm a outcast here :) but I had the exact same thing on the day I took it to PX last saturday I'd been out on it a week before, washed it down after the run out and stuffed it in the garage, came to get it out to run it over to the dealers and I was like what the juddering f**k
:unconscious:

I have gone for a complete change and bought a Triumph Speed Triple, I loved my S1000RR and not 100% sure I did the right thing but I had quite a bad fall off a ladder last year and for the moment sports bikes are just uncomfortable and I don't want a bike that is a garage queen! I've never had a triple before so thought I'd give it a whirl

I have gone for a complete change and bought a Triumph Speed Triplel
Just make sure you get the brakes serviced on the Triumph, they seize by just looking at water.

Good choice of bike though, great engine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back