Brake question

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ducatist3v3

Reaction score
Hi all
Has anyone had the issue of their front brakes not being great for several laps, after which they appear to bite much much better, not talking about a small difference here but the braking being really bad initially. I run SBS dual carbons...thank you

Are you talking about new pads ?
with the SBS DC when new they take a few laps to bed in and coat the disc then they are great, once bedded in they just need a lap to get some heat into them

Thanks for the reply, no they have been used a few times but always appear weak from the start then progressively get better...

Brake Pads

Whilst performance from cold is ok you really need to get dual carbon brake pads up to temperature before they perform properly.

When starting out from cold,just hold light finger pressure on the brake lever to get some heat in.Alternatively,make a point of braking early for the first corner-after that,they should be fine(if not,you're not braking hard enough!).

Thanks for the advice guys, makes perfect sense. The brakes are great after pushing on a bit. Just wanted to check.
Thanks again 🏁

i found with the DC they needed working really hard from the start, i used to do loads of braking on the siting laps. now im back on brembo's as i nearly had a few incidents on first laps with the sbs dc's.

Yep...early laps can deffo catch you out, certainly had me gaining on the guy in front rather too quickly in a hard braking zone. Let out a bit of wee...

When starting out from cold,just hold light finger pressure on the brake lever to get some heat in.Alternatively,make a point of braking early for the first corner-after that,they should be fine(if not,you're not braking hard enough!).

you dont really want to be doing that,it could easily glaze the pads.

as mentioned above,hard braking on the 3 sighting laps will get heat into them,then shoul;d be fine rest of the day.

Brake Pads

I personally wouldn't use dual carbon brake pads on the road as you would likely struggle to generate and retain the heat required to get them to work properly. I currently have HP Race Brake Pads fitted, which are dual carbon, and they are excellent on track once up to temperature.

you dont really want to be doing that,it could easily glaze the pads.

as mentioned above,hard braking on the 3 sighting laps will get heat into them,then shoul;d be fine rest of the day.

I've used sbs dual carbon pads for several years(and probably used more than 50 sets)-I have never had a problem with glazing.I have also used them in the wet(though I would probably recommend sintered)with no problems.
Assuming dc pads are being replaced like for like,bedding in can be done within 2 or 3 corners.If just going out on previously used pads and previously carbon coated discs then I consider my information to be correct.IMO,if that doesn't work for some then they probably would be better off using dual sintered pads instead.

Last edited:
I agree baz, except I did not them to be good enough in the wet on my R1, if I changed to my wet wheels I also changed the pads.
I think bedding in will also depend on how you ride, a quick rider will bed them in quicker than a slower rider.

No,as a first choice I would use sintered in the wet,but if caught out dual carbons will work quite well(but you do need to be alert to their characteristics).

TBH,if anyone is not achieving more than 1g braking forces in the dry then dc pads are not necessary and sintered are a better all-round option.
In other words,if you also use your bike on the road,then stick to sintered pads.

Latest posts

Back