BMW S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice i ordered my 2017 model 2 months ago motorrad colors full sports plus package plus hp levers and rear sets . Still 3 months to go until there in showrooms

Hey Ryan

Thought it was your bike in Performance Bikes, even took a picture to put it up on here as below.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Well done lovely bike.

Yep, looking good Ry and also several pages of PB dedicated to how the S1000RR is built including quality checks (cough!) and stuff about S1K race engines and bikes :adoration:

"You're welcome to come and have a go on it any time ..." Is that an open offer? and is that pesky 'you bend it, you mend it' clause in force? :)

Re: alpha Racing Switchgear Conversion Kit

Hi Ryan,
I have a question that I hope you can help me with regarding the Alpha Racing Switchgear.
What have you done with the plugs for the heated grips. On the throttle side I have a OEM plug with a black/white and a brown wire coming out from the throttle house and on the Alhpa Racing Switchgear there is a plug so that you can connect the two.
Did you connect the two or did you just cut off the OEM plug coming from the throttle house??
Thanks in advance
// Kenneth

alpha Racing Switchgear Conversion Kit

By fitting the alpha Racing switchgear you lose the ability to use the heated grips. They will no longer function once the switchgear is installed as they as not designed to accommodate them. My bike is currently at Lind Motorrad and without looking at it I can't remember exactly what I did to the plugs but some modification was involved.

Instructions for installation can be found at the weblink below.

https://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/a...Mounting instructions conversion kit 2015.pdf

I can answer this :)

The throttle side, the plug for the heated grip stays plugged in but not used (just to keep it tidy).
Left side, we had to remove the plug off the grip so the switchgear would sit close enough so Ryan could reach the buttons. Otherwise it would leave a space of about half an inch or so (not ideal). The plug off the loom was re-routed and covered in heat-shrink to protect from the elements.

alpha Racing Switchgear Conversion Kit

Thanks. I knew there was some modification involved but I couldn't remember exactly what. They are superb and far more ergonomic and easier to use on track; especially when changing modes and adjusting DTC on the fly when conditions change. They are also far more robust than the OEM switchgear.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Re: alpha Racing Switchgear Conversion Kit

Hi Ryan & Tim,
Thanks for your reply. It was exactly what I was looking for and much appreciated....:)
// Kenneth (Denmark)

My S1000RR is now back from Lind Motorrad and arguably a little bit better than before...

image_zpswtxnbzre.jpeg

I will post an update shortly and a few pictures once the weather has improved. The good news is that all the repair work is now complete thanks to the excellent team at Lind Motorrad and Prime Factors Racing.

Repairs

After just over two months my S1000RR is now fully repaired. From experience track and race bikes always look far worse straight after a crash, especially if it was in the wet. Once you get them cleaned and stripped down they do look better and you can start assessing the damage properly. This particular crash was no exception.

I removed all the obvious damaged parts immediately following the crash and the bike was then sent to Lind Motorrad to be fully assessed. They subsequently surveyed the bike and as a precaution removed and checked the DDC front forks on a jig to ensure they were not bent. They also removed all the damaged parts and replaced quite a few including the lower yoke, steering damper, instrument/fairing bracket, clip-ons and the right-side crash and engine case protectors. Some replacement parts were supplied directly by Lind Motorrad whilst others were sourced from a few BSB teams who were in the process of converting brand new S1000RRs into race bikes for the 2017 season. I've also replaced the Akrapovič exhaust as whilst fully functional it took a few knocks when sliding across the tarmac. Fortunately Lind Motorrad made an offer I couldn't refuse on one from their old stock. Other parts that needed to be replaced were the upper race fairing, screen, FFR front axle pull cup and a HP right foot peg and brake lever pedal.

The cost of repairing the bike hasn't been all that bad considering the speed at which the crash occurred and overall my S1000RR fared extremely well. The alpha Racing and HP crash protection performed superbly and exactly as advertised. It most likely saved me from thousands of pounds worth of damage; particularly to the frame and engine. Ultimately it made the difference between being able to repair the bike easily as opposed to making an insurance claim and perhaps having it written off. If you are regularly doing trackdays and haven't fitted crash or frame protectors you would be extremely foolish not to.

On a much more positive note it's provided a good opportunity to add some minor improvements to the bike. The alpha Racing catalogue has once again been opened and rather than just replace 'like for like' OEM parts I've tried to improve the bike, albeit rather modestly to help keep costs down. I will eventually post a few pictures of the new parts once I've found a bit of spare time and the weather improves.

Whilst all the repair work is now finished, all that remains to be done is to have the right-side panel repainted and the new upper race fairing painted. That and I've already started booking UK and European trackdays for the 2017 season...

Re: Repairs

Glad to hear that you're potentially working toward supplying me with more parts this year :) Seriousky though, sounds like you had a close shave with much more expensive results, but survived. I will be figuring out my R&g bungs after reading the above.

Repairs

Thanks. Fortunately it was just a lowside and there are far worse, and much faster, places to crash at Snetterton.

Brembo Z04 Front Brake Pads

Following a caliper clean and rebuild I've fitted new front brake pads this weekend.

IMG_2509_zpsyojfwdcv.jpg

Brembo Part No. 107.A486.47

Brembo Z04 Front Brake Pads

Now I've got my BMW back I can get it ready for the first trackday of the year. Last season I was using the dual compound HP race brake pads which were very good but I've gone through two complete sets rather quickly. I've now opted for a set of sintered Brembo Z04 race front brake pads which I managed to find on special offer. The Z04s are normally outrageously expensive and the price is escaberated by the extremely irritating design of the standard OEM Brembo calipers used on the S1000RR. However, they are quite simply the best brake pads that I have ever used for race and track use and last surprisingly well.

To get the most from the new Brembo Z04s my brake discs needed to cleaned thoroughly. This is because the HP race brake pads left a thin, uniform dark-blue layer of material on the discs after bedding in. To avoid any pad contamination and negative effect on braking performance this needed to be removed. I have also checked the thickness of the brake discs on both sets of wheels for wear and neither set require replacing. To finish the brake system refresh I've also fitted an alpha Racing rear brake reservoir and replaced my season old brake fluid with fresh Castrol SRF fluid and completely bled the system.

Thanks for sharing Ryan, great reading and I'll bet you can't wait to get back out again.
Ill do my usual pre season checks too, which involves looking for the key then giving the tyres a kick :eek:nthego:
No half measures here.

Latest posts

Back