BMW S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2D Front Fork Travel Sensor

The 2D Front Fork Travel Sensor separates the compression and rebound stages of the front suspension. It therefore allows greater flexibility when setting up the DDC suspension for track or race use. The standard DDC damping of +7 to -7 is very good but this just gives you the ability to adjust it in a more traditional manner with far greater fidelity.

Re: 2D Front Fork Travel Sensor

Thanks, So the Sensor doesn't actually aid the handling of the bike in say race mode, its only for personal adjustments ? Would you happen to know how much traction control and anti wheelie the bike has in race mode ? i know when in slick mode with + 4 the traction was a lot more intrusive than in race, i guessed 0 or +1 but it would be helpful to know so i would have figures to start from

2D Front Fork Travel Sensor

By fitting a 2D potentiometer it will open up additional DDC menu options to adjust compression and rebound and nothing more. As for DTC you simply need to get out on the bike and experiment to find what works for you as the system parameters change in each mode.

Thanks you've just saved me ?350, i thought it might act like the rear sensor and make adjustments whilst on the fly, I'm no suspension guru so would not know how to adjust for the better. Yes iv been comfortable in race but would like to experiment in slick was just after the standard settings of race so would have a good starting point before making adjustments to suit.

Riding Modes

The system parameters are completely different between RACE and SLICK modes. The latter is far more aggressive and configured for track use so DDC and DTC will behave differently. Hence why you just need to get out on the bike and experiment.

Spare Wheels

After a 7 week wait my new trackday wheels have finally arrived.

BST Carbon Fibre Wheels

P1030374_zpsvf12rhoe.jpg

More to follow...

Re: BST Carbon Fibre Wheels

Nice one mate. I bought new from HPS for my K8 thou last year. Beautiful they are.....

I had yhe carbon dy mags on the r1 and transformed the bike

BST Carbon Fibre Wheels

I've finally found time to fit my BST Carbon Fibre Wheels this weekend. I decided to purchase the BST wheels from HPS as they weren't that much more expensive than other aftermarket forged aluminium wheels and I have never tried them before. Ultimately I needed a second set of wheels to mount more trackday focused tyres as only having one set can be rather restrictive especially if it rains. While they are safe for road use, and hold a T?V certification, they will probably only be used for trackdays. My current HP Forged Wheels will most likely end up being fitted with wets as I seem to spend less and less time each year riding on the road. Either way I now have far more flexibility when it comes to tyre choice for trackdays as I'm no longer constrained by having just one set of wheels.

They feel physically lighter than my HP Forged Wheels; but not by a huge amount. The difference would most likely be far more noticeable if comparing them with the standard cast OEM wheels as they are claimed to be significantly lighter. Having weighed the two sets for reference the weight comparison between the HP Forged Wheels and BST Carbon Fibre Wheels is below.

BST Carbon Fibre Wheels*

Front: 2.480 Kg
Rear: 4.002 Kg

HP Forged Wheels*

Front: 3.083 Kg
Rear: 4.333 Kg

* Measured without brake discs, sprocket carrier, spacers, sensor rings etc.

Overall the weight saving of nearly 1 Kg is beneficial as any reduction in unsprung weight is always a good thing. What it really does illustrate is just how much of a worthwhile investment the HP Forged Wheels are when buying a new 2015 BMW S1000RR.

I'm not one for aesthetics, and always prefer function over form, but these wheels do look visually stunning on closer inspection. The weave is uniform throughout and matches the HP carbon fibre heels guards and Akrapović exhaust end cap. Build quality and finish is extremely good as is the machining on the hubs and carriers. There are cheaper alternatives available and in truth I'm not expecting a hugely noticeable difference on track when changing from the HP Forged Wheels. Overall whilst my 2015 trackday season is pretty much finished I now have two sets of lightweight wheels ready for next year.

BST Carbon Fibre Wheels

Here are a few pictures of the BST Carbon Fibre Wheels fitted...

I had BST's on my last bike (K8 1000). My usual tyre dealer wouldn't put tyres on them for me, as they broke one once. That said they are very beautiful. The HP wheels are very robust I've heard, which is deal for racing where a lot of tyre changes take place.

BST Carbon Fibre Wheels

Fortunately the garage I use is used to fitting tyres to BST wheels. As for a comparison between the two sets of wheels that may have to wait until next year as I'm unlikely to get out on track again before the season ends.

Metzeler Racetec Rain

Metzeler recommended pressures.

Front: 34 psi Cold / 35 psi Hot
Rear: 28 psi Cold / 29 psi Hot
Tyre Warmers: 50 mins @ 80?C

Back