BMW being dumb...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Turns out, if you fit a camera...like a GoPro Session 5 (tiny). It blocks the GPS signal to the data logger / laptrigger.

20230330_150951.jpg

Last edited:
2D are currently 🤦‍♂️ looking at the setup I sent a picture of.
GPS Mice do not do well with carbon or metal in their way. So the device being sunk into carbon and then with a part metal camera on top is just lunacy.
I'm thinking of flipping the setup and using a small plate (or Gopro flat mount upside down) attached to the BMW GoPro mount and then sticking the GPS mouse on that so it's well clear of the bodywork...or just fitting a normal seat insert and attaching the GPS mouse to the tail piece when I need it.

I've not yet got the GPS Data Logger, although its on the wishlist.

I saw someone repurpose a Gen4 number plate holder, (cut down to size) to mount the GPS mouse on the bit that faces skyward. Seemed a good solution, and would mean you can keep the GoPro mount.

Attachments

• 2024-08-15_13-24-58.png
    2024-08-15_13-24-58.png
    535.3 KB · Views: 0
The GoPro mount piece is junk too, snaps (on my 2nd) with a heavier camera and the silver nut on mine now spins and being circular you can't easily stop it without mole grips.

Hi,

I had similar problems with my laptimer at Mugello last week too. Only this was a Solo 2 DL unit mounted in front of the tank.

Looking at the data, the positional accuracy was pretty good around almost all of the lap apart from on the main straight where the grandstand is.

My suspicion is that with the high grandstand, and possible further shrouding as I was leaning forward to get out of the wind blast, meant the unit couldn’t detect the finish line and hence wasn’t registering laps. Luckily, it looks like the analysis software has resolved this.

Seems these units are very sensitive to not seeing the multiple satellites particularly when going over a finish line. Hence, I was seeing no laptimes.

As you say, Alex, positioning is crucial.

I never had this issue with mine and iirc it was the session 5 that I was using in the end up, I was using a newer GoPro initially but when that parted ways I had a the older one lying around and used that on a few days without ever having issues with the data logger.

I’m guessing the problem only occurs if you mount the camera directly at the GPS receiver?

Yeah it sat over the top of it. Sinking it into carbon isn't good...adding a lump of metal above it, worse. As CJC menitoned the pits and stands may have been a factor too. Either way. The more exposed the better.

Back