Biking Fatalities

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

Reaction score
So, quite a bleak thread to start but I'm guessing I'm not on my own here....

I last week lost my ride partner and friend to a biking accident as he commuted to work.

He was the fella who taught me how to get my knee down and I reckon probably the kindest bloke I've ever met.

So it took a few days to even look in the garage and a few more to think about getting back on the bike again - I don't think it's that I'm particularly apprehensive about riding just a bit lost at the idea of riding without my friend.

Have others been through this too? How did you fair?

Respectfully, I'm not seeking condolences - it's a genuine ask about if people have experience moving forward.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick, sorry to hear of your loss.

Ive lost several mates through bikes. Ive also been to some horrific Road traffic collisions where lives have been lost.

I have been effected by both these things, to the point that stopped riding and sold my bikes. Whilst at the time this felt the right thing to do, unfortunately the biker itch does not go away and after time I have purchased bikes again.

My riding has changed over the years from the friends Ihave lost and the things I have seen.

I tend to ride alot on my own as I work shifts, whilst some may find riding alone odd, I enjoy it as there is no pressure to keep up and if I want to just go steady then I can.

I think if you re not feeling like getting on the bike, then just leave it till you feel te time is right.

Very sorry to read about this nick. It is the horrible reality of a biker forum that these things happen to us or people we know.

Ekdg sums it up well by saying if you don't feel like riding, leave it and come back to it if and when you feel better. That's great advice.

I lost a friend 6 years ago. Others who were with him at the time of the crash gave up biking there and then. It was very sad that he lost his life but ultimately that is the risk. People get killed crossing the road but it wouldn't stop you doing it, which is where I see it. His death did change how I rode and what goes through my mind every time I put my lid on. I still think of him when I meet up with mutual friends, he was a great guy. Rip.

Theres nothing wrong with taking a step back and reevaluating everything when tragedy strikes, it's very normal.

Agree with what's been said - biking does need to be done when you're focussed and concentrating - if you're not in the right frame of mind, don't force it.

There is more than road riding... so maybe consider some track time in Europe to build some happier memories.

Sorry for your loss and hope that you find comfort in the good memories.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss.

Agree with what Alex says.

If you feel you want to have a break for a bit then do it. As Alex says you do need to be more focussed and concentrated when riding a bike than driving car. I ride on the road but have the luxury that I don't commute using my bike & I can choose not to ride if I don't feel like it or the weather conditions are bad.

Track days are a good idea to keep up the biking 'bug' & lowering the chances of something serious if you do happen to have an off.

Last edited:
Nick, I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss, may your friend rest in peace.

There's nothing more that I can add to what's already been said, as I agree with all of the above.

My thoughts are with his family, friends and yourself during this difficult time

Oli

I've not lost a biking buddy due to an accident but I've lost a best friend last week who I went riding in the States with and who I rode at home with too.
Ive really lost my mojo and haven't been out the last few months. I went for a ride on Sunday and didn't enjoy it.
Its not the same as a biking accident but I'm not in the frame of mind to go riding and I'm hoping that will pass.
RIP all the good guys.

A sobering time for you mate..sorry for your loss, the advice on here is pretty solid.

I was 17 and I carried my mates coffin at his funeral. I can't really remember now how I felt at the time as it was so long ago now. We all used to scream about on two strokes and were a bit gallus, I guess we all thought we were invincible...

I too would take a step back and leave riding your bike till your minds more settled.

stuart

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nick, sorry to hear of your loss.

Ive lost several mates through bikes. Ive also been to some horrific Road traffic collisions where lives have been lost.

I have been effected by both these things, to the point that stopped riding and sold my bikes. Whilst at the time this felt the right thing to do, unfortunately the biker itch does not go away and after time I have purchased bikes again.

My riding has changed over the years from the friends Ihave lost and the things I have seen.

I tend to ride alot on my own as I work shifts, whilst some may find riding alone odd, I enjoy it as there is no pressure to keep up and if I want to just go steady then I can.

I think if you re not feeling like getting on the bike, then just leave it till you feel te time is right.

Well said Dave.

I think any mental trauma is a very personal event, not like cut or a bruise where proven medical procedures can be employed. It's deeper and affects your very fibre. Because of this, how you heal and deal with this event will be unique to you and you'll get past it in your own way. Just do what feels right for you.

I know you didn't ask for them, but please accept my condolences anyway.

Unfortunately it's the harsh reality of what we do, I lost 2 this year so know a little about yr feelings and whilst it digs deep, I have knowledge that they died doing what they enjoyed immensely. I know all the ifs and buts, however, I still choose to do what I enjoy knowing that those I've lost wouldn't want it any other way.
I couldn't go through life 'thinking' what might be rather than knowing what it is.
Give it time, there's no pressures but don't use it as an excuse not to enjoy what you may be missing out on, we are after all, only here once...

Hi Team,

Thanks for all your replies (I thought that sadly I wouldn't be alone in this process) its been quite cathartic reading them through.

I will of course be back on my bike in no time - I've always been a cautious and confidence based rider in that I'll just go home if my heads not in it or my mind is still pre-occupied after a few miles. I quit commuting on my bike for that reason. Motorcycling for me is the luxury of not actually having to go or be somewhere - its that lack of purpose which I love as when I get in a car its because I'm going somewhere for a reason and when I climb onto my S1K I'm going everywhere for no reason whatsoever - just the sheer shits and giggles of it all.

People who mentioned my friend were spot on as well - he'd never forgive me if I stopped riding not that my other half particularly harbours the same views!

I'm also very grateful for offers of ride outs and the sound advice of taking my time and being kind to myself.

Thanks everybody.

Sincerely.

Latest posts

Back