Bike seems hot

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCRR

Reaction score
Hello all.

Last year I accidentally lay bike on side. Never used much since and just had in for a service. Garage called and said they seen what they thought was evidence of a coolent leak. They cleaned off and ran and said no leaks and levels all good. I noticed coming home engine temp gets to 100 fairly easily and fans on a lot. Is this normal or could I have a problem?

K46's tend to run quite hot, mine used to be 103 regularly in slow, hot conditions.
I would check the overflow isn't pushing out fluid and that the fluid returns to the same level when cold.
Where was the suspected leak location?

They never said. I’ll check receipt to see what it says. It was bmw dealer that done service and they said to monitor the level

Nothing on invoice to suggest where possible leak?
Is there a way to check I don’t have an airlock and thermostat is opening ok?

Honestly - I'd presume it's all ok. But monitor it. I don't think from what you've said its anything other than fluid which escaped when it fell over.

they run hot, I've just put a new rad on mine which helps a lot, but it was till 103 in the traffic yesterday, but only 90 something once over 30 mph. temp light comes on at 118 apparently. i don't think mines been over 112 113!
last summer had to do 100mph to keep below 100 degrees! but air temp was high 30s in spain and france

Just echoing what @alex and @mike g just wrote. When the ambient temperature is hot (30C plus), my K46 also runs hot. On a tour of Spain and France the fan was almost constantly on and the temperature on the dash was often showing 103C and more on the first day coming out of Santander. I thought the coolant needed topping up, so I parked in an underground garage overnight, got up early and took a water bottle with me only to discover that the coolant level was correct in the overflow bottle. All was good for the rest of that tour.

Back