Bike running on 3 cylinders??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbaz

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was out on my 2011 s1000rr yesterday, bike was running great when suddenly just dropped a cylinder, pulled over turned the bike off, left it a minute and re started but still only on 3 cylinders! Managed to limp it home, ok when rolling but pulling off was interesting, plenty of clutch slipping to get it up & rolling!...just after advice if anyone's had a similar problem?
Going to strip the tank & air box off and check plug connections & plugs & maybe change all 4 plugs! ( advice on replacements or just OEM ones)
Started the bike up thus morning & ticking over on all 4 cylinders which leads to think its a coil of plug breaking down under load & heat!

Advice welcome please?

Cheers
Barry

Coil mate, had this happen on my old fireblade. Bit of a bugger to find the faulty one if it's not doing it now, could work out pricey replacing all 4, might be worth taking it to dealers to see if any error codes have been logged.

Mate had this at a race meeting, turned out to be a coil, fortunately one of the side car outfits running a bm unit had a spare. Good luck with getting the coils off !!

Hi guys, thanks for the responses, just taken tank and air filter assembly out and far left hand coil was loose and not clipped onto plug! not sure why it's come off but going to take full air box off and see what's going on and try to see how tight it clips back in place on plug!....not looking forward to getting it out mind, reminds me off the Kawasaki c4h model where you had to take front engine bolts out , un bolt the dad's and tilt the engine slightly down to get enough clearance to get coil/plug out....oh well here's goes 3 hours and countless swearing no doubt!...I'll keep you I formed?,...

Cheers
B

Coil mate, had this happen on my old fireblade. Bit of a bugger to find the faulty one if it's not doing it now, could work out pricey replacing all 4, might be worth taking it to dealers to see if any error codes have been logged.

Had this before, easy to find just run engine and spray each down pipe with water, the one that doesn't steam is the faulty one!....

update....took the front section of the air box off as this gave me a viewing of all 4 coils and notice left hand coil was not attached to plug...not sure why this had pooped off my only thoughts are that when I took the rad off to fit new headers I seem to remember moving the coil around slightly as the coupling was in my way !!!!...note to self not to do that again!..Anyway clipped coil back onto plug, check the others and then re assembled the air box & tank and fired her up, running sweet...just going to keep my eye on her for a while to see if it does it again..if it does then a new coil me thinks!..

thanks for your responses.

b

Old problem showed its face again...well its happened again, left hand coil popped off, noticed this time that its broken lip around top of coil so got another to fit tonight, however I've also noticed what's seem to be engine oil on the coil itself....wondering whether the cover gasket maybe weeping/leaking around this port on the cover gasket causing back pressure in coil recess enough to pop the coil off? Going to look at it tonight and if it is a lot of oil then book it into BMW Tunbridge wells...

Latest posts

Back