Battery...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJUK

Reaction score
Right, had to get AA out yesterday evening because when I came to start my bike at a mid way stop it wouldn't start. Lights all came on with the key and just as I was about to press start button the lights all went out and nothing. First I thought it was the starter switch as I got caught in rain (really bad rain) the day before.

Took the seat off with some tools we pulled together and it turned out the positive side of the battery was lose (almost off). So we tightened it back up but still nothing. Couldn't bump it either. So that's where AA came in.

Anyway, my point is, the bike had only been to BMW for a service a month ago. Literally 1month to that day. I am right in thinking that they will have checked the batteries health? Because I know I tightened it up (really tight) prior to the Bmw service as that's the last time I'd stripped it down to clean everywhere.

Basically I'm wanting to ring BMW and say you check the battery and didn't tighten up the positive side properly and now it's dead and won't recharge. I want a new battery FOC!

So, it works with a new battery?

Have you put the old one on trickle charge?

It works with a friends battery. And works if I jump it, but as soon as you take the jump cables off the bike it dies.

AA bloke tested my alternator and that's fine. It's charging, the battery just can't hold it. It's dead as in will never work.

Ok fair play, I wasn't sure from the description.

I'd certainly take it to them. Ask if it usual process to remove/disconnect the battery? As you found a loose terminal.
Then when they say, yes, you explain the battery isn't working now...let them test it etc...

I'll give them a ring tomorrow but off on holiday tomorrow night so probably won't sort it till I'll get back.

These batteries die suddenly then that's it. I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago. BMW service would not have picked it up and I very much doubt it has anything to do with the positive being loose. The batteries normally last 3 to 5 years depending if they are well maintained on a trickle charger or left.

1year 4months mines lasted. Trickle charged throughout the winter and used every other weekend and some mid week rides too.

Id of thought that if the screw was nearly out it would be rattling around due to the vibrations, probably causing it to spark, if not spark atleast drain it/not charge properly.

If the dealer supplied it it is covered by 2 year warranty I believe. Sounds like a dodgy battery.

Unfortunately it wasn't. It has a 1year warranty on it.

Would you guys say 8.5ah is enough to for a battery? It says it's for my bike. I don't have an alarm model. Oh and the size of some of the batteries are different. Even though they say for my bike. Which confuses me as I'd of thought the battery holder would be the same size throughout the s1k range. Mine fits snugly but there's some wider ones.

From the looks of this, yes.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery.php?bID=B177&vID=7802

Battery Family: YTZ Factory Activated, Maintenance Free
Battery Type: YTZ10S
YTZ10S.jpg
Voltage: 12
Capacity: 8.6
Dimensions: 6" x 3.4375" x 3.6875"
Weight: 7.0 lbs.
Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 87mm x 93mm
Metric Weight: 3.2 kg
Polarity: