Back after accident

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellhands

Reaction score
Hi all
2 weeks ago I bought another gen2 s1krr, a 2014 in nice black and white with a bit of red. I had an incident with a deer in august last year that wrote off my 2013 rr.
Anyway loving it all over again but am keen to upgrade exhaust as want volume and hate seeing a cat. I like a loud exhaust but not stupid loud. I had a full akrapovic system on a gsxr1000 k9, it had a 250mm long can,sounded lovely.
The bike has PLENTY of power as far as I'm concerned so it's not a hunt for more power I'm pursuing but as mentioned sound and looks. Can anyone suggest what exhaust system I should consider?
Many thanks Ans good to be back.
Bellhands đź‘Ť

Thanks chaps but which akrapovic? I've seen stubby ones and full length cans. Guessing stubby is louder but imo looks better.

Welcome to the forum, am sorry to hear of your accident but am glad you're back on an RR again.

I've got an Akra Evo system on mine and love it.
Personally I think the stubby silencers look great, but they are very loud and can therefore be somewhat limiting.

Enjoy the forum and your exhaust mods,

Oli

Thanks Oli
Guess the evo is stubby then? Does it have a removable baffle? Have you had a pc or equivalent installed?
Thanks mate.

No my Evolution system has a full length silencer, though it's for the Gen 3 15 > bikes so has a different shape to the previous generation Evolution silencers.

Yes the full length systems have an optional baffle, but the stubby silencers don't.

I have a custom mapped PCV on mine, though did about 12 K miles without one as with the stock O2 sensor installed it actually fuelled fine (was just a bit rich at the top end).
That being said, you must always have the fuelling checked on a Dyno after removing the cat or making a considerable exhaust change.

I would also recommend considering removing the SAS using the Alpha Racing block off plates as I personally find the popping and banging annoying.

Oli

Thanks for all your advice Oli. That's very helpful. Think it'll be a full length can I go for. Sounds all round best.
What's the SAS?

My pleasure, I'm sure you'll be very happy with an Akra full system (Evolution is Titanium headers, Racing is stainless steel).

The SAS is the Secondary Air System, which is purely for emissions regulations and contributes considerably to the popping/banging you get on closing the throttle.
This can either be blocked off or, ideally, completely removed. Mine is blocked, but with hindsight I'd have removed it completely

Oli

From my perspective I find slip-ons and decats a bit of a false economy. Full systems from proper companies like Akra are 'tuned' to make the engine breathe well. Exhaust scavenging, pulse timing are all measured and honed.

Thanks JimmyMac! Akrapovic it is then. I've chosen the carbon full length with stainless headers.... as it has no cat will it pass mot as it's supposed to have one?

Good choice!

You have absolutely nothing to worry about with regards to MOT's or U.K. road legality as an Akra exhaust has nothing stated on it saying words to the effect of "race use only, or not for highway use".
A catalytic converter is not a requirement in the U.K

Many thanks once again Oli! The description says no need for fuel modification so can I just ride off or have it put on a dyno?

The description is correct, with the stock O2 sensor installed you'll almost certainly be fine, it's just good practice to "check" on a Dyno after installing a full system or decat link pipe.

I have a custom mapped PCV on mine, but with hindsight I'd have saved the money and instead just removed the SAS at the time of the exhaust install, as for me that would be a more beneficial mod.

That's great and once Again many thanks for you wise words Oli. Appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back