At last some progress....

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I registered an interest with them a while back. Got an email last week saying I could place an order, or even get a free lid if I got loads of friends to get one, yeah right. Pyramid selling.

It's a good idea, there are others doing similar, but the Achilles heel for these niche ideas is that if it starts to take off one of the big boys will copycat the concept and take over that space, if they aren't already developing their own versions.

Sickly American advertising, but I would love to try one (not wear one all the time). From the reports that I've seen, it'll cost you USD$1,600 (?955) to look like the Rocketeer at a funeral

Last edited:
Sickly American advertising, but I would love to try one (not wear one all the time). From the reports that I've seen, it'll cost you USD$1,600 (?955) to look like the Rocketeer at a funeral

All very good points the original concept helmet was 25k US down to 1600 now if you pre order one for 2015. I would not go with the next years deployment but hold off for 2016. But either way its a damn cool amalgamation of tech. What that old saying eyes in the back of your head. In terms of design its not far off the AGV pista GP looks wise

I think you can win a free one....something about showing what you would do with it that is so special and if it's special enough you get a freebie... I was thinking maybe i could put it on my head.

Also if your bike has an output for telemetry it will show that too. Definitely cool, although the skully in the ridiculous font size is pretty ugly.

As soon as this tech is validated by the masses, i am definitely in.

Got another email from Skully last night with a 'distributor' offer of 5 helmets for $5k. Delivery around May 2015.

I'd go in at that price if there are any other serious takers...

Got another email from Skully last night with a 'distributor' offer of 5 helmets for $5k. Delivery around May 2015.

I'd go in at that price if there are any other serious takers...

For a 1000 bucks (?607) I would definitely want to play. Thats 2 (so much for 2016 lol)

Anyone else?

Lumpy, any ideas how much import duty we'd have to pay on the lids?

and.... I might have got the offer wrong. Can't find the email at the mo but the website deal is $6,495 for 5, so I'm probably wrong. Won't be the first time!

Last edited:
If you were willing to take a chance, you could order via MyUS.com and change the value to a lower amount to minimise import charges (I've done this before using the site). :)

Lumpy, any ideas how much import duty we'd have to pay on the lids?

and.... I might have got the offer wrong. Can't find the email at the mo but the website deal is $6,495 for 5, so I'm probably wrong. Won't be the first time!

No worries i can ping them a mail and see what can be done in terms of a deal. As for import charges i believe on a Helmet imported from the US to UK it's 2.7% duty and no tax if i remember correctly. Not sure its worth trying to dodge that.

I will drop em a mail tomorrow and see what they say.

what's people opinions on this lid?? can you have too much info? is it not more of a distraction? personally all I'd like to see is a clear view of the road ahead.

what's people opinions on this lid?? can you have too much info? is it not more of a distraction? personally all I'd like to see is a clear view of the road ahead.

I agree with you that a clear view is preferable but I am on the fence about distraction. If the system can be turned off and on depending on user preference then it would be useful sometimes. When I'm out for a ride I want no distractions and as much clear vision as possible. But if I have to get to a new destination or maintain my speed (maybe an awkward 50) it might be better than taking my eyes off the road to look down regularly?

A good clear view forward, which we all should already have. But are you always looking forward? I use my mirror's plenty and lots of lifesavers so i would also appreciate a good clear view of whats behind me when i need it. Better still without having to rotate my neck to near exorcist extremes.

To be able to see clearly behind me without taking my eye of the road ahead, just adds to the "clear view ahead" as you are looking ahead and not elsewhere. With the added GPS twat nav on the same screen along with Bluetooth to your "only as smart as the user smartphone" what more could you want?

Only down side at the min i think is weight the Skully is 1700 grams i think. Definitely a step in the right direction for, i love tech and its about time our lids had some.

In case anybody who was interested in the Skully AR-1 hadn't already given up waiting for vapourware, and hasn't been following the lack of activity on .com, Skully has finally gone bust.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/26/o...helmet-startup-skully-has-crashed-and-burned/
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/skully-ar-1-helmet-closing/

Sad to read that but I felt they were always pushing water uphill. One of the mainstream helmet manufacturers will take this concept mass market soon I think.

Latest posts

Back