Are bmw taking the pi$$

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon d

Reaction score
Are bmw taking the pi$$

Hi spoke to my local dealer on friday about potentially changing my 2012 for a hp4. They offered me £10100 for my bike but said it probably would be nearer £11000 if it wasnt a recall bike or words to that affect. I am just learning on the forum that pre reg bikes with the conrod problem like mine are being sold 4 £600 ish less. Is this fair or do you think bmw should be reimbursing all 2012 owners with this money difference ie £600. just thought i would try n gauge peoples thoughts on this.

Re: Are bmw taking the pi$$

hang on a mo, lets work this through;

They build a bike with a fault, subsequently acknowledge they were n the wrong and repair said fault free of charge (as they are legally obliged to) and then reclaim the cost of said repairs back from you in the form of a lower trade in price.

Interesting concept.

Answer to quiestion is a big fat YES !
Question to you Simon 1)why trade in for a HP4? As others have said I don't think it is special enough or will be built in limited numbers to hold its value any better than what you have got. 2) Are you finding that you have reached the limits of the S1000rr if so give up track days and go racing! 3) Why change for anither BM when I change I like something completly different not just a few whisltles and bells on what I had. 4) How much did you win on the lottery ;) All above comments should be taken in the lighthearted manner they were intended. ::)

lottery i wish. How do you know the hp4 isnt special i think it is ? If i was to spend money on by standard bike the hp4 route is the route i would take. I dont like the fact my bike has had a part engine rebuild / full gear box n lots of other issues. I really like the active suspension system and think it would make road riding even safer. Me n the lads i ride with do ride quick on the road in pretty much all conditions. And as 4 some thing different after all the agro with the bmw i still really like the bike. Finally i wish bmw had made the price of the hp4 carbon similar to the Panigale Tri colour then maybe it would be more exclusive in terms of holding its value better. These are me thoughts buddy hope you are well :)

I think you have a case
Kick up a stink with them , what have you got to lose

Simon I said "Special enough" active suspension will no doubt be offered on standrad S1000rr in 18 months time . I'm sure if you haggle and want the HP4 carbon BM will willingly charge you Panigale Tri Colour money ;) I admire your brand loyalty , if I had issues with my S1000 there is NO WAY I'd buy another regardless of how good a faultless one may be. The truth of the matter is that there is no such thing as a crap Supper Sports bike and whilst I'm in favour of anything that makes riding safer, to much reliance on trick electronics and less on your own skill can still result in an accident (but possibly at a higher speed) Bit like car drivers in 4x4s with 6 airbags = "I'm safe so can drive like a twat" :eek:

I am in favour of electronic rider aids ( i know its controversial ) in my case i have been riding road bikes 4 three years next month. Compared to lots of fellow riders i cant possibly ride at your levels of skill/speed without your time experience !! so i believe rider aids will keep me sunny side up riding at the maximum level of my ability so i can get to work on a monday morning thats the bottom line. :D also to take a standard bike and set it up like a hp4 would surely cost more money than buying one in the first place. excluding the depreciation of buying new. How much have guys on here spent on carbon as one example ?

And it aint brand loyalty they are making a really good bike wouldnt you agree even after quality issues. I believe the panagale also has recall and other issues being a so called top end bike. ?

Bmw ate advertising the hp4 as special,but they done the same with the mororsport edition,you see more motorsport ones out there than any other bike lol ,the carbon edition is more special because its got lots of carbon lol,and imo for the cost of the hp4 its not worth it and apart from the trick suspension and the better software etc etc its still the same bike underneath,this will be my last bmw ill have as like a earlier post ill go for something different,maybe the new v4 honda or even get back on a gsxr but never a yam or kwak lol

when i had my recall done, i called kawasaki and ducati ( just as an experiment), ducati offered me a crap trade in and kawasaki werent interested!! i used this as an argument with BMW who after a lot of ranting still informed me that they would offer full value and were not responsible for other manufacters decisions. So basically i would be fine providing my next bike was a BMW. SO very interesting that despite this they have offered you £600 less. Which dealership was it mate

Mine isn't a recall bike, it's a 12 plate, 4 months old, 850 miles on the clock and they still wanted £5995 to change. With the HP4 (non carbon) retailing at circa £16.5 otr they are only offering £10.5k for mine so at least your dealer is better than mine.

jamie link=topic=1541.msg14763#msg14763 date=1350301757 said:
when i had my recall done, i called kawasaki and ducati ( just as an experiment), ducati offered me a crap trade in and kawasaki werent interested!! i used this as an argument with BMW who after a lot of ranting still informed me that they would offer full value and were not responsible for other manufacters decisions. So basically i would be fine providing my next bike was a BMW. SO very interesting that despite this they have offered you £600 less. Which dealership was it mate

Id have another superduke aswell as they run circles around anybike in the twisties...!!!!!

hi Jamie it is clarks bmw in Cofton Hacket south Birmingham. Thanks 4 input from every one else. I am going to write to bmw head office n see what happens but aint gonna hold me breath.

I bet you £100 the active suspension won't be that much cop. Its only gonna be an electronically adjustable standard set up

Give me aftermarket Ohlins stuff any day

My first thought was the HP4 suspension wouldn't be good enough for racing (if the organizers allowed it!)but,as it turns out,it is very clever,adjusting itself many times a second.So presumably it will also adjust itself when it starts to fade when hot!

Hopper link=topic=1541.msg14883#msg14883 date=1350506934 said:
I bet you £100 the active suspension won't be that much cop. Its only gonna be an electronically adjustable standard set up

Read about it again dude. Seems like its the way forward but it's effectiveness it greater on roads rather than smooth circuits but even then, every circuit needs a compromise with regards to set up. The HP4 will avoid that.

MOz link=topic=1541.msg14900#msg14900 date=1350551648 said:

Read about it again dude. Seems like its the way forward but it's effectiveness it greater on roads rather than smooth circuits
That is probably true, a test ride will confirm.

phil link=topic=1541.msg14901#msg14901 date=1350553463 said:
MOz link=topic=1541.msg14900#msg14900 date=1350551648 said:

Plus, its aimed at your average rider who has average suspension knowledge (next to none) me included. I had mine 'set up' for fast road/track but lack the knowledge of fine tuning. The hp4 would benefit these sort of people if its what its cracked up to be. I couldnt justify paying an extra 8k just for susp......

Read about it again dude. Seems like its the way forward but it's effectiveness it greater on roads rather than smooth circuits
That is probably true, a test ride will confirm.

Latest posts

Back