Annoying oil leak

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ubik

Reaction score
I noticed on the last couple of rides I have an oil leak. It's coming from the front engine cover on the right ( stator cover ? ). The guy who had the bike before me has put the R&G engine cover set on so I took that off to have a look and found that the leak is coming from one or two of the bolt holes not from the grey silicone seal or the removable cover with the torx fitting in. It looks to me that when the cover was put on the grey silicone seal should have gone all round the bolt hole but it's only gone round the outer edge of the hole so oil can still seep out. My question is ... Is it easy to pop this cover off with oil in the bike ? Does most of the oil go back to the sump when the engine isn't running and would be below the level of the cover when I take it off?

Oil

If you intend on removing the engine casings you should ideally drain the oil first which is a fairly quick and simple task. Just ensure that you torque the engine and sump bolts to specification in order to avoid any further oil leaking once you have refitted the engine casings.

I have replaced every engine bolt on my bike, including the ones you have pictured, and not had to reseal any of them. They need torquing correctly - I'll check the values if no one knows off hand, and no issues.

Also, BMW use alu bolts for the casings, which are designed to stretch so strictly speaking are single use. If they have been used before and over tightened then I'm guessing that may be the issue. New bolts?

The R&G engine covers bolt on with stainless steel bolts. I gather the ali BMW bolts are soft so could possibly seal them selves as you torque them up. The R&G covers are thick plastic with metal tubes in where the bolts are so I could try and put some silicone either end of the metal tubes but it seems a bit of a bodge

Is the silicone seal oem or has the casing been off? Damage replaced?

no does'nt look like it. A gather some one has took the original bolts out to put the cover on

You can remove the cover without losing oil. Just work on the bike on its side stand. You will need new bolts from bmw and seal. My bmw dealer replaced mine for ?40 includind new sealer

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! At least I know I can take the cover off now. I've had the bolts and grey silicone delivered from my local bmw dealer. I'm hoping to do it Saturday if I get a chance. I'll post back how I get on

All done!! I've taken the bike for a big ride out today and all is good ( no oil over my boot and exhaust ). One thing I will say though is be careful when you put the cover back on! there are two pins that fit in holes in the cover and if they have oil on and there is a little oil in the holes they go in you get an air tight seal and when you put the cover back on it feels like its trying to spring back out again like air suspension works. So its a good idea to give them a wipe first and the holes with a cotton bud so the air can escape then the cover goes straight back on and next time you start the bike it will all get covered in oil under the cover anyway.

Latest posts

Back