And Another One......

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hello chaps.....and ladies? I too have have just bought a new 2015 S1000RR Sport in motor sport colours. This is a complete change for me as I've always been a Yamaha man! I'll not lie to you all but I would have got myself a new R1 but found the seat to be too high at 855mm. What is it about new bikes being so tall these days? Not at all like my Yamaha FZR 1000 Exup at 765mm. (recently totaled after cartwheeling it into a field) I have another Exup that I got for spares and my intentions are to rebuild the bike at some point in the future, that's as soon as I can regain my motivation! I also own a Yamaha FZ1 N with ABS. I bought that bike new in 2012 and use it for touring and thrashing around on. Great bike that, with decent handling and a good turn of speed,due to it's 20 valve R1 engine. Anyway, I digress, I didn't even think of purchasing a BMW until I saw one at a dealers at Thirsk and had a sit on it. It was two years old and spotless. And do you know? the seat height was perfect, 5mm lower than the FZ1. I went home, thought about it and rang the dealer for a test ride, only to find they had sold it. But the seed was planted! To cut a long story short, I went to Allan Jefferies at Shipley, had a test ride and bought one from them. I've still got the wreckage of my Exup and I'm keeping the FZ1 'cos It's still a great bike and will be better for touring than the BMW. I just hope I've made the right choice with this bike as it's first time I've gone for anything other than Japanese. That's not counting my days in another life when I had three BSA Clubmans 500 Gold Stars............but that's another story:smile-new:

Welcome to the site and a great write up, i too was only ever Yamaha bikes back many years ago with an FS1E and DT 125. Then passed my test in 2011 and went for an R6 which was great then last year moved up to S1000RR 2014 model. Great bike and can only imagine the 2015 model to be even better.

Roadrunner, I guess there'll be a lot of ex Yamaha owners on here, I had LC's in my youth and have owned a couple of R1's, all great bikes - came very close to putting my name down for an R1M last month but wavered at the last moment as I knew I'd end up pampering it and not thrashing it!! On the other hand the '15RR is just a brilliant all round bike that'll do whatever you want it to, you'll have no regrets at all :joyous:

Last edited:
Hi Roadrunner, welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll love the new ride, just make sure you don't teach it cartwheels. Take care buddy and enjoy.

JimmyMac

Hi Chaps, thank you for the warm welcome to the site and I look forward to contributing to it when I get settled in. I had to laugh Jimmy Mac, when you mentioned teaching the bike to do cart wheels:highly_amused: (though I couldn't 3 months ago when I did it..... it hurt too much) But I can assure you, it wasn't the bikes fault, I did it all by myself.........a moment of madness. However, I shall take on board the gist of your comment and be careful. At the moment the bike's a bit faster than me. A situation I hope to address in due course:friendly_wink:

Welcome. I to have been a yam man and still am tbf as i have an r1 5vy as my track bike.

Just looked at the pics roadrunner, if your new bikes not got the ABS pro upgrade see your dealer as it can be retro fitted. I got it put on my HP4 and it is incredible how much you can brake and STILL make the corner at the same time. Glad you were able to walk away, others haven't.

JimmyMac

Had a quiet laugh to myself about the jacked up rear subframe macRR, but I will be putting it back to standard when I finally get started on it. Just looking for my mojo at the moment. The main job this winter is to personalise the new RR and to check and adjust the valve clearances on the FZ1, ready for touring next year.

Not sure what you mean JimmyMac about the ABS pro upgrade. Does it cost anything or is it free? Could you tell me a bit more about it Please?

FREE? Its BMW were talking about. LOL

It is a software upgrade that was available to buy for around ?350-?400 if I can remember correctly. It allows for very hard braking whilst in Rain or Sport mode whilst cornering. It prevents the bike from standing up and sending you in a straight line by pulsing the brake, even at a very low lean angle. I must say I noticed the difference immediately after leaving the dealers by deliberately grabbing a handful of front brake whilst going round a roundabout. It only works in these two modes as it is designed as a road safety upgrade rather than for a track environment. I am positive that it is available for the 2015 bike and it might have been rolled out to others.

Speak to your dealer, although 2 out of 3 salesmen at mine had never heard of it when I went and enquired!!

Cheers JimmyMac

Thanks for the quick reply JimmyMac. I will have a word with them and take a look at that option, though I'm not too keen on spending more dosh just yet. I'm pretty sure that if i'd been out on that fateful day on my FZ1 (with it's ABS) i would have got away with things, But as I was riding my older bike (without ABS) I didn't. I'll just have to be more sensible that's all. I'll try to get used to this bike and then decide, Once again, thanks:smile-new:

Back